Sign in to follow this  
CA2OR

Xenia Filter

I am working on setting up a 20g to plumb into my tank....possibly. If so I will take this. I will know what I am doing about this 20g in the next day or 2.

So tested my nitrates yesterday and I am officially at 0. No tank changes nothing...just the xenia filter. I am very happy.

Thanks for keeping us updated, Eric. I'm really thinking of trying this now. Is there a species of Xenia that is better for this purpose?

I have a mix...some from ClaythesavageFraser and some from Nate213...I don't know what kinds they are but they might.

Im not 100% sure what kind it is. It is pinkish brown and has large thick branches when it grows out. It seems to grow faster than the whiter variety or the Pom Pom Xenia. I assume that since it grows faster, that it would suck up more nutrients in the process.

while on the topic of xenia how do you get it to grow on the glass? you cant glue it can you?

I glued my first and only frag on a peice of LR next to the glass and over time and alot of harvesting, virtually all of my Xenia is on the glass. It covers about a 9"x12" section of glass in the back.

picture.php?albumid=88&pictureid=480

It has grown quite a bit since this pic was taken.

Just tested Nitrates again today, still no water change, still at 0. I will post a video tomorrow of how much I feed on a daily basis to give you an idea of how impressive it is to me and effective it has been.

How many months without a waterchange? You are supplementing the other elements? If you look at whats in the salt mixes we use you will see that there are many elements it adds to your tank. Makes me wonder if those things will need to be replaced???

HHHMM

Jay

Intresting post

I don't supplement. I guess I just did a 100% water change as I moved from my 36 to a 72 with all new water. Before that it had been about 3 months or so.

so its been almost a month and you started with how much zenia? how much has it grown and since your Nitrates are 0 now has the growth rate slowed? are you testing how much you can feed before it starts to rise again?

I started with 5 stocks. I have probably 10 or so, I lost 5 or so when I moved tanks. I feed a bit more now....almost double since the food doesn't spread as well with the bigger tank. So I increased the food I put in to make sure everything and everyone get fed. Nitrate's still at 0 but I have only been in this tank for about 2 weeks. I will updated again in 2 weeks when I test again.