Xenia Filter

CA2OR

So I started my newest phase of filtration not too long ago and it seems to be taking off quite well. Just thought I would share. I am thinking of adding a little rock back there to wiegh down the cheato providing more room for the xenia to grow and spread.

I know you can't really see it but it has taken over the entire section back there, and spread to other sections that I have no idea how it got there.

• Like 1

lol.....so I have noticed...thank you very much for the xenia Clay. Looking forward to some of that sunset. Did you see my video sale thread? I got a video of them for you so you can see them until you get them so it is kind of like already having them.

I think they fact that you can't grow it is a good thing. People who get it to grow like crazy usually wish they could just get rid of it. I can become a big hassle to remove if you don't keep on top of it. I have 2 little patches of it that grow slower then anything else in my tank right now(thankfully). If it ever starts to grow faster I am getting rid of it all together.

I like the idea of using it as a filter in a sump or a refugium but not until my next tank. That way I can plan for a spot to put it that it won't escape from.

I've seen people glue it to their glass but I think it was done durring a water change so they could dry the area a little and use super glue. I tried it once under water and it didn't last that long. Believe me, the last thing you want is the glue to give out and it to fall behind the rock work and start growing like crazy onto everything without you knowing it.

I thought about attaching it to a small sliver of rock and then glueing the rock to the glass. Once it grows out on its own you could remove the rock

That is what I did to get it to grow on the back of my tank.

It is strange, I had xenia growing like mad for a long time. Now I can't get it to grow in my main tank any more.

I am going to keep trying, but it is ok that it does not grow.

dsoz

So, does zenia grow well, even if your nitrates are already low?

Mine used to grow like crazy (with higher nitrates) to the point where I wished it wouldn't, but nowadays (close to 0 nitrates) the one piece I have just sits there, staying the same size.

mine is the same way. I just tried to tell myself that since it is obviously a weed coral that if it didn't grow well and everything else did that I was doing something right.(scratch)

I mhave herd both that they do export nutrients and do better in a high nutrient enviroment.I have wanted to try this method to but with a sps tank and RO/DI water and a big skimmer I was never able to get it to take off! It would prob work great in a zoa tank but then again dont zoa's like the higher nutrient levels too?

I wasn't and am not able to keep xenia in my main display, it either melts or my anemone finds it (almost like it hunts for it). However, once I added it to my cheato compartment it has taken off and my nitrates, from last test, went from .5 to .1. I haven't tested it in over a week and have noticed quite a few new stalks so I anticipate the new results.

I have thought about trying this same thing several times. Seperate tank in the filtration system so I can take a weed wacker to it when it gets out of control. I will NEVER place this stuff in my display again. It can take over everything! Thanks for sharing the results.