A work in progress

180Brandy

My Husband and I have been working on this tank for a long time. So much research and time went into this project. A good portion is done now we just need to figure out how big a sump were going to need. Will keep you all updated as progress is being made. The first pic is of tank the second is the plumbing in the back of tank showing our closed loop the third is more of the same the last picture is a view of the top looking down in the tank.

post-168-141867765232_thumb.jpg

post-168-141867765236_thumb.jpg

post-168-141867765237_thumb.jpg

post-168-141867765239_thumb.jpg

Looks good.

$15 is a good price for those, about the only way to get them cheaper is to buy a bunch of them from usplastics.com

Rich

I think they are 13.xx at savko.com, i'm still trying to figure out if i want to use those or regular valves and unions. These look better, but the regulars are cheaper.......

Anyway sorry to steal away from your thread!! When you guys gonna fill that badboy up?

Just as soon As we figure out how to build a sump. Its hard because we have limited space. And I dont want a big mess. Were not even sure what size of sump we need. Were terrible.. Just when we think we have it all figured out we realize we dont.

180, you could get an acrylic or glass aquarium (or any food grade water resevoir) and modify it to become a sump... It's not to difficult, depending on what you would like to do?

I know someone who was setting up his large tank with a 55 gallon acrylic tank as a sump. He picked up the tank used. The price was even reasonable, if I remember correctly. If the tank or soon to be sump has a few scratches it really isn't a big deal.

Do you have pictures of your limitted space that the sump is going into, so we can help?

What are you planning on putting in your sump? skimmer, and etc...

What ever sump you get/build I think it is a good idea for it to accomodate any and all water from the tank when the tank is turned off or the power goes out. Here is a sump volume calculator for you to play around with:http://reefcentral.com/calc/sump.php

Have fun!

I dont have my camera right now. This evening I will post more pictures. Space is limited We have 55 inches across and about 33 inches tall and 22 inches wide. Does that make sence? This is where it gets hard. Our goal is to make it easy to get to something just in case there is a problem. We dont want a tangled mess. Also we want to put in a master control switch box thats labled so we know which plug is what. So if we need to shut down a pump we know which one to turn off etc....

I am in the process of putting together the same size tank. Building it from the ground up. I just finished the stand, and got a sump from waves. 30x16x16. Now I'm looking for a nice skimmer. My plan is to do it from the ground up. Get all the equipment in the stand. Build the tank and canopy last. I'm looking at next year sometime before I have water in mine. Patience is a virtue! Kudos to you for doing your homework and takeing your time. What closed loop pump did you go with in your 180?