Banded Clown acting out ??

Vancop

I have a pair of gold banded maroon clowns that I bought a few months ago. The female is pretty large ....say the size of the top of a soup can lid.....she is constantly fanning the sand all over .... all the way to the glass bottom.....I have a 2 inch sand bed .....which she manages to pile up to about 5 inches in areas in the tank. I am not to sure how much sand I have behind the rocks anymore.

Why is she doing this?? anyway to make her stop?? I thought if I let her go and have a certain spot she would stop...but she just moves to another ? Am I not feeding her enough? I like this fish...but she is beginning to DIG her way out of my tank and to a LFS !

Thanks

Cleaning maybe? It may be trying to find a spot to clean for laying eggs although it sounds like it may be too small for that yet. Try putting a small clay flower pot in the tank and see if it starts spending time in there instead of digging.

I have a large Clark Clown that does the same thing but she only does it in the area right below her anemone which is kind of a cave area. She doesnt do it all the time so I move the sand back, I have also placed a rock there and then she cant do it. Cant help with clearing several areas, do they have a host?, maybe making them thier own space (cove,cave) with the host may help.

There is a small green bubble tip in the tank and the smaller ( male ) clown plays around in it ...as well as the Contdalactis.....but the larger female hasn't tried to host anything ...she just spends her time fanning the sand all over the tank. If i cover her area...she will be back and stir it down again. I can try the clay flower pot ....do I fill it with sand ..or leave it empty.... on the side or straight up ??

There is a small green bubble tip in the tank and the smaller ( male ) clown plays around in it ...as well as the Contdalactis.....but the larger female hasn't tried to host anything ...she just spends her time fanning the sand all over the tank. If i cover her area...she will be back and stir it down again. I can try the clay flower pot ....do I fill it with sand ..or leave it empty.... on the side or straight up ??
On it's side and empty (A little sand isn't a big deal as they will clean it out eventually). Put it where you see it spend the most time. If the Anemone is loose then put it right in the pot. (I have 2 clay pots that each have one in it) The anemones actually seem to stay put better and the pot can be moved around with the anemone in it as long as you make sure it is positioned to get some light and a bit of flow. (I actually tilt the pot back just a little for more light to get in)