tank graveyard!

jason7504

ok i know everyone told me to find a reefer to watch my tank while i was away for the last 2 weeks but i couldnt so i had my cousin come check on it and stuff, not knowing there was gonna be freakin record heat of 106 and in the 90's plus for 10 days. so my tank got up to 92 for a couple days and when i got back today every coral was dead except for my clam(for some reason, he's barely alive too)! :( my tank looked so nice too and i had so many nice corals and my torches were kind of hard to find :(

all that time and $450 in corals gone!!! [language filter]!!!

thanks that would be great :) when is good for you next week?

Next week I am not scheduled to be doing much except some home improvement projects. Send me a PM with a day/time that is good for you.

Make sure your tank is back to being stable before loading it back up.

dsoz

thanks everyone! :) i should be up and running in the next week or so..i will PM everyone willing to donate to the Jason recovery effort :)

oh and i did a water change last saturday and i chose to take out the media reactor with GFO because it was expired and was planning on keeping it out..but in the last couple of days, i noticed brown hair algae growing..should I put my media reactor back in?

I would keep using the GFO. Just to suck up any phosphates released by the corals that died.

I only have 5 days of freedom left before going back to the salt mines. If you want some FS, you may want to hit me up soon.

Have you tested ammonia/nitrite/nitrate since the crash? If those have stayed steady, you should be good to go.

d

I would keep using the GFO. Just to suck up any phosphates released by the corals that died.

I only have 5 days of freedom left before going back to the salt mines. If you want some FS, you may want to hit me up soon.

Have you tested ammonia/nitrite/nitrate since the crash? If those have stayed steady, you should be good to go.

d

well i need to get some new GFO and cant afford it quite yet but my ammonia,nitrite, nitrate and phosphates are all 0...

NOOOOOO!!! I had the same worry as I was in Alaska for the week of the super high temps. Luckily i cut the photo period and luckily came home to a 78 degree tank. I don't have anything at the moment that's grown enough to frag... but as soon as I do... i'll donate to a good cause.

NOOOOOO!!! I had the same worry as I was in Alaska for the week of the super high temps. Luckily i cut the photo period and luckily came home to a 78 degree tank. I don't have anything at the moment that's grown enough to frag... but as soon as I do... i'll donate to a good cause.

oh lucky you..do you have fans or a chiller? or an AC house?

i reduced my photoperiod and ran a reverse photoperiod and still got in the 90's :(

ok thanks :)

Jason, I think being on the top floor is killing you. The tank I got my Pagoda Cup and the GSP I mentioned in the PM was also up on a top floor. If you don't have AC then it's going to be even harder to keep it cool than most. Read through this thread to find a few tips to help keep things cool in case we do get another hot spell: http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13461

I think we are past the worst of it for this year but we could still get a heat wave.