Sump Question!!

What size drain lines will you be running? Your going to want to be sure the drain will flow more than the return pump so that could be your limiting factor. Also keep in mind that the pump will lose volume pumping up to the return so that should be compensated for. (Find out what the pump maintains at the head hieght you will be running)

What size is the overflow drain? What pump are you running now? I run 1" drains which support around 650 GPH however with the head height slowing the flow I ended up with a pump that is rated at about 1100 GPH. It's going to vary from one pump manufacturer to the other though. My original external Little Giant was rated at 650 GPH or so and was pumping almost as much as the 1100 on there now. It ran hot though so I swapped to a submersible rated at about 650 and it wasn't pumping enough so I returned it and got the 1100 instead which I figured I could dial down to make it work. Once I got it installed I ended up running it wide open which flows a little more than the Little Giant did and my overflow drain still handles this with some to spare.

I would go with a mag12 or the equivilent. Are you going to be using your return pump to run your skimmer too? If so, I would get a mag24 at least. If you are going to be using a submersible. If you can go external, a reeflo Snapper or Dart would be nice.

• 3 weeks later...

for a 50 gallon tank imo you dont need 1200 gph going through the sump, the only reason you would need a pump that big would be to run the skimmer with it as well as for the return but even then that is alot of pump for a 50! I had a mag 12 on a 165 gallon ( hence my name ) and thought it was a little to much for the sump and it was a 80 gallon sump. and the rule of thumb for a sump is 1/3 your tank volume give or take.You also gota wory abought the heat that a mag 12 will be putting into a 50 gallon

Oh and for piece of mind, ya dont want to max out your overflow eather! just because your overflow can handel x amount of water dosny meen ya need to put that much throug it in fact ya shouldnt because what if theres a snail or two grazing over the overflow teeth and it slows the water going into the overflow, the tank will fill up with a potential of overflowing the tank if ya have a acrylic tank.

OK Im done.