Football 2009!!!!

impur

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was a cheap shot by Blount. If they were face to face that would be one thing.

It totally was, but what the BSU player did was 100% provocation. His coach was chewing him out when Blount hit him right on the button. It was a well placed cheap shot. Maybe U of O should start an MMA program.

I was at a fish meeting so started watching a little late, but just watched Blount at the end. He needs to be kicked out of college sports, banned for life. He has already been kicked off once. He is a worthless POS and I NEVER want to see him play sports again. He will never have a future in football due to his piss-poor attitude and we dont need thugs like him in the sport. Bye Blount, and good riddens.

Oh NOW you guys wanna talk football.... :p

I am embarrassed to be a duck fan today. It appears Chip Kelly did not watch one second of the game from last year, because BJC was running the EXACT same play action plays with the exact same success. Like Mike Bellotti last year, Chip was completely outcoached.

The offensive line is beyond terrible. I don't think they could block against a high school team at this point. I had my expectations, and even had a few thoughts about how bad they could be, but they were even worse.

Masoli looked horrible, the kid just can't throw and made bad decision after bad decision. Part of that is the line not giving him enough time to even check down to the 2nd receiver though. He should have taken off running on so many occasions, there were wide open sides of the field on some plays.

Alliotti did not learn a thing about the last game. BJC ran the same plays and UO defenders were consistently out of position, just like last year.

Blount needs to be kicked off the team. Its really too bad, all he had to do was have a decent year and he would have been a 1st round NFL pick.

Its gonna be a long season.

Hats off to BJC, they did what they do. Play within themselves, do what they do best, and stay grounded. They manhandled UO.

Go Ducks...er something.

Whatever he said, name calling or taunting or whatever, obviously with Blount's showing after the fact, he probably fits the bill. Going after fans pretty much classifies him to fit any name he may have been called, or what may have been said.

I am with you Miles. Yesterday was an shameful day for duck fans. The game was horrible. That is some of the sloppiest football I have seen for a while...at least since our two punt returners ran into eachother last year....Ugh. You know I was thinking the same thing about the O-line. I was thinking...I needed to go down there or something...couldn't have been much worse. The line was so slow, and weak it was sad. I haven't seen such a bad showing from Mesoli, ever. I couldn't believe the mistakes he made, he either was WAY out of the zone, or he just doesn't have a football head about him. His pass to the secondary on Boise was perfect, pinpoint accuracy...but wrong team. He was just so off his mark.

It was racial, you can figure it out.

Edit: Ok so i think that Hout said something about Blount's comments in SI. But the BJC fans, they absolutely were calling Blount the N word you can read their lips.

Curtis you could have helped em out man!!! Just needed 1 hole opened up and none of them could do it. Pathetic is the only word to describe it. This was a worse showing than the Indiana game where we had 7 turnovers. But at least in that game we moved the ball.

I honestly started feeling sorry for oregon last night. I'm sitting there thinking that this team is loaded with weapons but they can't figure out how to deploy them. I do think that the better team lost this time. Then you have the Blount issue on top of it.

When a kid is a college athlete on a stage as bright as the oregon ducks, they are held to a certain standard. I am sure that some very unpleasant things were said by those fans and by hout but you can't do that. The punch, like I said earlier, that is a little more acceptable in my opinion and we could handle that accordingly, but going after fans is another story.

Now that i know what that Hout dude said to Blount' date=' i can't blame him for decking him. [/quote']

Not saying it is right in any way' date=' [/quote']

Those statements seem to be a conflict. Nothing "said" justifies physical violence. When people equivocate and elect not to "blame him" for his action, that justifies his actions - in my opinion.

Sounds like there are been some clarification on what was said - basically returning Blount's own taunts about the "a__ kicking". If Blount's going to dish it out, he better be able to take it - or at least not lash out like a 12 year old.

I guess it's not surprising that a guy that goes around referring to himself as "Blount force trauma" would be a violent guy.

Hey, at least he's ready for the NFL.

Those statements seem to be a conflict. Nothing "said" justifies physical violence. When people equivocate and elect not to "blame him" for his action, that justifies his actions - in my opinion.

Sounds like there are been some clarification on what was said - basically returning Blount's own taunts about the "a__ kicking". If Blount's going to dish it out, he better be able to take it - or at least not lash out like a 12 year old.

I guess it's not surprising that a guy that goes around referring to himself as "Blount force trauma" would be a violent guy.

Hey, at least he's ready for the NFL.

Perhaps, but if i'm AA and someone calls me a N i'm decking them i don't care who thinks what. I know it wouldn't be right but i'd still do it. So the statements correlate exactly with what my actions would be.

Blount did not name himself that, some fans came up with that.

Punishment has been dealt. He is suspended for the rest of the season and bowl game (if they get there) but keeps his scholarship.

Perhaps' date=' but if i'm AA and someone calls me a N i'm decking them i don't care who thinks what[/quote']

Yeah, I understand the sentiment. I just think that people (not that you were) shouldn't excuse Blount. Turns out that (as i understand it) the guy didn't call him that name. But if he had, Blount would still have been wrong to resort to violence - in my opinion, and in the eyes of the law. If the same thing had happened off the field, Blount would be sitting in jail right now (not quite sure why he isn't).

The reason that NFL players act like thugs and get in trouble for carrying guns or fighting dogs is because no one ever held them accountable for acting like idiots when they were coming up through the football ranks.

Hopefully, Blount learns a valuable leason.

Yeah, I understand the sentiment. I just think that people (not that you were) shouldn't excuse Blount. Turns out that (as i understand it) the guy didn't call him that name. But if he had, Blount would still have been wrong to resort to violence - in my opinion, and in the eyes of the law. If the same thing had happened off the field, Blount would be sitting in jail right now (not quite sure why he isn't).

The reason that NFL players act like thugs and get in trouble for carrying guns or fighting dogs is because no one ever held them accountable for acting like idiots when they were coming up through the football ranks.

Hopefully, Blount learns a valuable leason.

these athletes are money makers. Plain and simple. There is no difference between these guys and the sideshows at a circus. They are freaks of nature in their athletic abilities and people pay to see this. In the NFL ranks they get by with this because team owners and league officials don't care what they do as long as people are paying money to see them. Just like michael vick, the guy has no place in football but because he will make the league money, he is coming back and playing with the eagles. Once again, why?? ....because he will make money. I love football whether it be high school, college or pro but I do get a little discouraged when I see the greed that's involved.

Yah its all about the money now days. And its too bad.

I found this in my reading today and can sympathize with it:

The Oregon and Boise State players had just finished 60 minutes of football. They are big and powerful men, running across the field and slamming into each other at full speed. These men are ridiculously strong. As Chuck Klosterman pointed out years ago in a brilliant essay for ESPN, NFL linebacker Shawne Merriman weighs more than the greatest offensive tackle of all-time (Anthony Munoz, who retired in 1993) and runs faster than the greatest receiver did during his draft combine (Jerry Rice, who retired in 2005). These men are destroying each other for our entertainment.

And yet, when that raw emotion and energy spills out for even a moment after the game, we gasp in self-righteousness. We recall our time on the field - in Little League, or out with friends - and pretend we understand what it's like. If we were tackled just once by a 200 pound man, we would file assault charges. LaGarrette Blount was pulled to the ground 8 times by groups of men even larger, while he was running full speed. We can't fathom, from our pure white towers of the finest carved ivory, how he could ever resort to flinging his fist into an opponent's smug grin?

Maybe I should start taking some notes from hockey: if I'm going to cheer on the barbarism and slow death of athletes, I may as well cheer when they fight, as well. Or at least not recoil in hypocritical horror like a pious windbag.

http://burnsidewriterscollective.blogspot.com/2009/09/ugly-ducklings.html

This is a great response to the people out there claiming he should be in jail, or kicked out of school or worse. He's still a young guy and has his whole life ahead of him. At least give the guy a chance, in some way, to redeem himself and make something out of his life. I think allowing him to continue practicing with the team and keep his scholarship was a good move.

Gotta admit none of us know the feelings that are going thru these guys' heads. The key is that they are in control of their own actions.

Yah its all about the money now days. And its too bad.

I found this in my reading today and can sympathize with it:

The Oregon and Boise State players had just finished 60 minutes of football. They are big and powerful men, running across the field and slamming into each other at full speed. These men are ridiculously strong. As Chuck Klosterman pointed out years ago in a brilliant essay for ESPN, NFL linebacker Shawne Merriman weighs more than the greatest offensive tackle of all-time (Anthony Munoz, who retired in 1993) and runs faster than the greatest receiver did during his draft combine (Jerry Rice, who retired in 2005). These men are destroying each other for our entertainment.

And yet, when that raw emotion and energy spills out for even a moment after the game, we gasp in self-righteousness. We recall our time on the field - in Little League, or out with friends - and pretend we understand what it's like. If we were tackled just once by a 200 pound man, we would file assault charges. LaGarrette Blount was pulled to the ground 8 times by groups of men even larger, while he was running full speed. We can't fathom, from our pure white towers of the finest carved ivory, how he could ever resort to flinging his fist into an opponent's smug grin?

Maybe I should start taking some notes from hockey: if I'm going to cheer on the barbarism and slow death of athletes, I may as well cheer when they fight, as well. Or at least not recoil in hypocritical horror like a pious windbag.

http://burnsidewriterscollective.blogspot.com/2009/09/ugly-ducklings.html

Gotta admit none of us know the feelings that are going thru these guys' heads. The key is that they are in control of their own actions.

it's really not the punch that bothers me though. That don't bother me at all. The punch is just from an emotional high. It going after the fans. Really he had no clue who called him what, he was just gonna go into the stands and punch someone else. That is absolutely not acceptable and I'm glad he has been suspended for the season. This makes me like oregon more because it's obvious that they will not put up with this type of activity. I will be pulling for the ducks from here on out as long as they are playing out of the sec=)

Oh my gosh - who wrote that patronizing, self-important blather? I'm sorry, but that's just ridiculous.

Yes, these guys are large guys playing a physically violent game. Sure, there are high emotions and adrenaline involved in the game. But to say that somehow these guys can't control themselves and draw the line between the game and full blown assault is just asinine.

"We can't fathom, from our pure white towers of the finest carved ivory, how he could ever resort to flinging his fist into an opponent's smug grin?"

I think that's the single most condescending sentence I've ever read. Come on - I'm sure I'm not the only guy that played football in high school. Yes, I know, high school isn't the same, but it's to scale. I was running/tackling/hitting guys that were just as big and fast relative to my size.

And yet somehow, I managed not to sucker-punch anyone in the face - despite being in pushing/shoving situations - and we lost plenty of games.

I think this type of mentality equates these players to mindless animals incapable of separating sport from real violence, which is just nonsense.

is there any documentation of what hout said? IF hout called blount an N word to his face, I'd have punched him in the face too... no questions asked. At that point is wasn't about the football game. What blount did was unsportsmanlike... but what hout did... if true... was way worse in my opinion. He'll be passing along his hate and intolerance to his children and further continuing the cycle of racism. If true, hout deserves to be kicked off the team. There should be no room for racism on a football team when I'm sure his teammates make up many different races that he needs to have a successful team and season.

This is obviously speculation at this point... I still can't find a report of what hout said. I'm hoping blount was in the wrong over something less aggravating than racial remarks.

Its more for those people who think he should be shackled and hung. And there are those people out there who are saying he should go to jail for life.

I hadn't heard anything that extreme. I think his punishment was fair.

MedRed, the only this that I had heard that Hout said/done was hit his shoulder pad (some say push, but I haven't seen it myself) and say, "how bout that a__ kicking", which was taunting Blount about his comments that Oregon was going deliver an a__ kicking.

I hadn't even heard speculation about the racist remark until reading posts here. IF that were true, than Hout would deserve to be severely punished as well. Though I have to admit that saying he should get thrown off the team - which is worse the Blount got - doesn't wash with me. But saying he should get the same punishment, would be fine (again, assuming it were true).

I subscribe to stick and stones theory. Someone calling you a name - even that most egregious one - doesn't justify violence. That being said, in that situation, I'm not going to feel bad for the guy that got punched either.

I'm a firm believer that some people really do need a punch in the face to adjust their attitude.

Hmmmm... I guess I'm the one waffling now.