Overheated, fish dead, looks like another is trying!

I have a newer home with good insulation so just one little ac unit in a window keeps my whole downstairs cool enough. I ran the Dual 400 MH's yesterday for about 7 hours without a problem. I have a chiller in the stand that I can hook up if I need but I have never used it yet. The previous owner of the tank had an older home and he said the chiller was a must from late spring on. In fairness though the window AC blows sorta near the tank so I am sure it is chilling the glass a little, and that has to help.

Sorry to hear about your loss Clay. If I could actually get this chiller out of my stand(I put it in from the back and can't get it out now) I would send it to you and let you use it until you could figure something out...

Sorry to hear that, Clay! :(

I used to have a bunch of frozen bottles ready, to put into the sump in the afternoon, but 2 years ago, we installed a heatpump.

107 F here, today, and our a/c is struggling a little, but at least keeping it at 76 F inside the house, instead of the 73 it's set for.

Tanks are fine with fans regulated by a controller.

We lost internet and phone for most of the day, though. Comcast problem! Not sure if it was related to the heat.

Even though it was hotter outside today I prepared a bit and my tanks are in better shape than yesterday. One is around 78 and the other is at 81. I turned the MH lights on this morning between about 4 and 9 and left the actinic alone on the 85 gallon (It comes on for a couple hours in the early afternoon and again later in the evening). (The 40 only has the MH light) In addition to this I grabbed a pedestal fan from the garage and directed it at the smaller one until the temps were around 78 and then switched it to the larger one which is where it has been since.(I switched it around 10 this morning) I think the temp in the house is around 80. I also went out and grabbed a new fan for the hood in the small one since it was lacking one when I brought it home. (It's only been in for an hour though) Tomorrow I will probably get the other pedestal fan out and use one on each tank. (I'm surprised at how effective it is at keeping the temp in the tanks down)

Hmmmm....pedestal fans huh? Ok, good to know!! I was blessed to today!! After yesterday and all the grief of losing not only fish but the investment I made in those fish, Today totally made it!! So I started texting everyone I know!! I asked if they had any ac units laying around!! And lone behold my good friend Luke just moved into a house that has ac and he is not using either one of his huge master blaster ac units!! They are awesome!! They are those new kind with the huge exhaust hoses in the back that blow out your window! It's amazing!! My house is chill!! I love it!! And It was 107 today! Crazy how god blesses you!!! Now, I get to replace my fishies! I want a sohal I think? Don't know yet?

Clay