Overheated, fish dead, looks like another is trying!

So it got over 100 today in Eugene!! I have a small ac unit that usually pushes air towards the tank! So, I went to the river. Came home and my tank was over 88 degrees! I freaked! I put my emergency 2 liter bottles of frozen water in there and took the fans that usually blow in between my lights and the acrylic and aimed them at the water. I then turned off the lights!! Shoulda done that before I left!! And then I looked down and there was the carcass of my small orange spined tang!! Sucks!! My girl named her mac after the mac make up, cause of the orange lipstick look. I am bummed!! I need a swamp cooler!! I live in a house that was made in the 20's all single panned windows etc.....Cold in the winter and hot in the summer!! I can't afford no chiller!! I would rather keep the whole house cool not just the fish tank!!

Clay(flame)

Bummer. I forgot to turn the light off on the new tank before it turned on today and then left for a while to deliver a tank I sold. When I got back it was pushing 85 before I turned it off. (It's back down to 84 now) The larger display is around 82 but the lights haven't been on today. (I'll turn them on early morning for a few hours) Note that those temps are with the central air running non stop.

That sucks Clay. The ground tranformer that powers the six houses on my culdsac blew up at 2 today. My tank was without power for around 5 hours. I think I have only lost a couple of SPS frags so far. All fish are accounted for so I am crossing my fingers. When it rains it pours.

Shane

Sorry to hear that Clay. That really sucks. I know waves has a chiller for like 300 I think it may be cheaper than trying to get an AC unit right now. I don't know but I thought I'd let you know. Hope everything else is doing ok.

Sorry to hear that Clay. If you really want to make sure that things stay where they need to be as far as temperature goes, I would definately get a chiller. I know it is expensive at first but just think of how much you could loose in live stock. Seems like you might have to spend more on replacing livestock then to just buy a chiller. Plus easing your mind is worth every penny in and of itself. My system is about 500g. It is in my parents garage, so it is exposed to whatever temperature the garage is. It is usually about 5 degrees cooler in the summer than outside and about 5 degrees warmer in the winter. I went by today to check on things though I wasn't too worried about thing. I run a 1hp chiller on the system and two 800w titanium heaters. All are regulated by a Medusa temperature controller. My temperature stays between 78 and 79 degrees all of the time. The only time it ever changes is if I add too cold or to warm of water to the sump where the temperature probe is, so really never changes the system at all. It sure is a godsend and though it cost a few Benjamins, it was one of the best investments I have ever made. My chiller is on about half the time on 100 degree days. My heaters are on for short amounts of time in the winter and when below freezing outside they sometimes run all of the time but keep things at a perfect 78-79 degrees.

Through the years I have learned that temperature control is perhaps the number one thing that we can control that helps to keep our reefs alive. Good water quality is a must but if you can't keep the temperature in line you will loose corals, fish, and inverts far faster than anything else.

Garrett

sorry to hear!! To save whats left ya can use even a box fan on a chair or ladder, leave the hood open and even on days this hot leave the lights off, it wont hurt the livestock a bit to be in the dark a day or three, or even just a two or three hour photo period in the early morning. Just something for all to concider tomarrow when its 101 deg out.

Thats crazy!! Hey, I have a trickle tray!! I wonder if I put my fans on that more than the surface of my whole tank if that would work at cooling it better. Ding! LOL! I feel silly!! I just found my exquisite fairy wrasse belly up. He's been having a hardtime now for a few hours!! I was hoping she would pull through! [language filter]!! I wish all fish were as resilient as the dam damsels!! My maroon clown pair, yellow tang, yellow tail, talbot damsels, lm blenny, shrimps, all my corals and anemones, six lined wrasse, and mandarin are doing good. Wish everyone was still alive!! I loved them!!

Clay

Yep....sorry your tank overheated. It was actinics for me most of the day. I have a newer window ac from sears. I got the biggest they make for your window. Cost a couple hundred and wont keep the tank down all by itself but without it I would have dead fish for sure. Get a chiller if you can.

They are talkin 105+ possibly tommorow

Jay