Question for those who dropped out

Do you have any fish that would potentially nip at zoas? Just trying to understand our failure.

I have a flame angel that I recently saw nipping at new zoas....I wonder if he was a catalyst in their demise.

He doesn't mess with the zoas that were established before he got in there.

Those of us that received ours right away ended up with the ones that had the greatest amount of stress. Ours were fragged once in the Salem area where the mother colony was split and then traveled from there to the Portland area and were then fragged again where they were open to the air for a bit and then were dumped into a tank of fresh mixed water. Then they were immediately pulled out and in the case of the ones I picked up traveled again across Portland before they were put into yet another tank. Those from the Salem area got their frags straight from the mother colony I think which eliminated some of the stress for those and any of them that were shipped or traveled later in the week had at least a few days to heal and there were extras sent to help as well giving them a better chance. They also had some advance warning of possible problems because we had already lost several frags up here. Of the 8 frags I picked up there are 3 still surviving. I don't have any problems with fish messing with the zoas so I don't think that is the problem. I actually put 3 other zoa frags in the tank the day before and had one that I actually picked up from Eric at the same time as I got the competition frags and all of those are doing great. (No signs that whatever happened to those ones has spread which makes me somewhat happy)

In a nutshell I think things were simply rushed too fast for this one. People were in such a hurry to get started that there wasn't enough care taken to be sure all of the frags were all in good shape before they were distributed and it wasn't set up to be sure all of the frags were treated equally. I'll be watching the second competition to see if it's set up to level the playing field giving all an equal opportunity and if it goes well then I'll join the next competition after that.

in my opinion I think they should have been mounted on plugs before they were dispensed, and given a few days to heal before being dispensed, Maybe this would have created less stress, but most people voted they didn't want them mounted. I'm sure floating in bags unattached to anything is stressful on them.

My belief is that the reason for the loss was lack of heal time from cut to dispense. The next round will be allowed healing time to assure quality of frags. Those who have lost entire frag will be entered automatically into the next comp.