Brownout comeback pics

fly guy

These pictures can only truly be appreciated by anyone who has had all of their sps turn brown for one reason or another. Mine was a combination of aefw treatments and quarantine and weaker lighting in the quarantine tank, hacking most of them into pieces to help with the process and a dirty sandbed in a previous tank. They are ALL coming out of it and starting to show their true colors. Still nowhere near what they should be but they have made a TON of progress in the last 4 weeks. That and my growth at the moment is noticable every dcouple of days. :D In another month they should be getting close.

birdsnest.jpg

pociyellow.jpg

purptips8.jpg

yellowpurptips.jpg

greenpurp.jpg

center225.jpg

By chance have you keep a log on the times(feeding' date=' lighting, WC's, etc.) and dates of this? It would be a good little article for you to write up so we can share with others that go thru a 'brownout', and use it as a guideline.[/quote']

Sorry, : (

I could invent one that would be close, but it would be fiction to some extent as i didnt document anything. I can tell you real simply what needs done to accomplish it.

1. New and or newer bulbs

2. Cook your rock and do everything else you can to eliminate phosphates from entering your system, and if they do get them out.

3. Good random flow and perfect water parameters

thats it

Not the write up you were looking for but its all i got. : )

None of these corals have been fed anything but fish poop and not very much of that. AS well, the tank they are in is only 6 weeks old. Rock cooked for 12 weeks however, started ad fresh uncured. I have to scrape coralline every day in this 6 week old system.

This tank is a temporary home for all of these stonies until the rock finishes cooking for my BB tank......

Cooking your rock involves putting it in a container in your garage for 6 to 12 weeks(depending on how bad the rock was in the first place) without light. Youstill want flow and aeration and to keep the water roughly to temp. It enables the beneficial bacteria to turgor out the phosphates that build up over time by just too much phosphate in the water column, poor flow and dead spots, or wicking it up from the sandbed that it is sitting on. At least once a week during the process you swish the rocks hard in several buckets and do a 100% waterchange with ro/di ASW. You are done when you dont get anycrap in the buckets as you swish.

Its the only way to fly IMO. Im on my third batch of cooking rock at the moment and the results are simply amazing. This pic is of my 225 and its only 6 weeks old. Zero nuisance algae and the only thing i have to scrape off the glass is coralline. You of course have to have all the other good husbandry things in place to keep it that way, but i will not allow any rock into my systems ever again that hasnt been cooked.

I kind of take it to the extreme when i do it though and scrub the rock and blow all the holes out with a mag 9.5. You can do it gentler and save more of the life on it but the only thing that matters to me is super clean rock and healthy bacteria....the life will eventually come back.

full225.jpg

• 1 month later...
Ane newer pics? Are they still coloring up good? Later Ryan

They continued to color up more until a couple of weeks ago when i moved all of my stonies over to my new BB system......they havent seemed to change yet but ive been kind of disrupting them with my alk and calcium levels being a little jumpy.......nothing real major but ive had my alk as high as 15 for a day and my calcium as low as 350...........ive got it under control now.......everything is looking good :D

Ive got some newer pics of them in their new home....but they dont look a whole lot different......

heres one of that birdnest pictured below......you can see some pretty good growth in a month as well as his green flesh coloring up quite a bit more since the first pic.....

growth4.jpg

Hope I get to see it all setup completely before we take it down to BB. That birdsnest is pretty cool. Looks more like an octopus. I'm thinking hard on how to one last time, reasemble my reef. Seeing those videos someone posted today are very inspiring. (just now wishing I had 24" of depth rather tan 18" to work with, but oh well, what's a husband to do.....; oh yeah, wait 10 years to buy a bigger tank)