Sponge Filtration?

Guest Ahbrit

Guest Ahbrit

Has anyone tried this?

I'm curious as to whether it is worth the effort. I was thinking of throwing half a dozen large sponges in the sump and seeing how it went.

Let me know your honest opinion!

call me crazy but I think he meant the live variety... ?

I would think that would be a risky test. If they start to fail/die you would need to pull them quickly.

If the sponges grew naturally thats different, but to add several to an established tank seems risky.

But then again I have not an educated clue, just a opinion.

Tyree of course is using it heavily with his tri-zonal systems and I've read several others (such as mojoreef) contemplating it after discussing it with Tyree. I think the benefits are there and worth the risk... but I've read very little about it.

According to Steve Tyree using the Tri Zonal System of utilizing live sponges, tunicates, and bivalves, all waste products would be broken down by the organisms. A skimmer would not be required, and according to him should not be used on a Tri Zonal System. It would be interesting to see how a system using a skimmer and only a few sponges would work out though. I lost most of my sponges (along with most everything else!) in the Reef Tank Moving Disaster of '06, otherwise I would be glad to give you a few. Start with a few small sponges at first an see how it goes. Travis usually has a few sponges. The sump should be an ideal place since they do not require light.

Check out Steve's site http://www.dynamicecomorphology.com/ and message forum http://p201.ezboard.com/fegzonalreeffiltrationfrm1 for more info.

That Tyree link was a pretty good call, John. I don't think that there would be anything awfully bad about increasing biodiversity, save for the initial expense. What were your thoughts about getting it started? Order a bunch of rock for your sump?

Guest Ahbrit

Seems a little spendy to set it up without additional research.

I would not be comfortable removing my skimmer from the system without seeing proven results. I'm having trouble comprehending a 1/2 gallon of skimmate a week being removed naturally.

To Seths point, i would like to increase diversity and also kick the filtration into a new gear with additional sponges. 400G of water would take a lot of sponges!!!.

Extra feeding of the tank would not happen in an effort to keep the sponges alive.

That Tyree link was a pretty good call' date=' John. I don't think that there would be anything awfully bad about increasing biodiversity, save for the initial expense. What were your thoughts about getting it started? Order a bunch of rock for your sump?[/quote']

Yeah. Possibly add sponge kits ( Reefarmers Farmed Sponges http://www.reeffarmers.com/farmsponge.htm ) to some established rock/rubble in your sump, refugium, or moderate to low-light area to prevent any excess algae growth. Some sponge does very well under intense lighting.

Some Steve Tyree books and Video CDs are available for loan in the PNWMAS Library. Check with Lowman.

Dr. Ron Shimek has always said that the greater the biodiversity in a system, the greater it's stability.

When my tank was wiped out last month, it just made me sick. I had been adding to it's biodiversity for 19 years.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Seems a little spendy to set it up without additional research.

I would not be comfortable removing my skimmer from the system without seeing proven results. I'm having trouble comprehending a 1/2 gallon of skimmate a week being removed naturally.

To Seths point, i would like to increase diversity and also kick the filtration into a new gear with additional sponges. 400G of water would take a lot of sponges!!!.

Extra feeding of the tank would not happen in an effort to keep the sponges alive.

In a reef tank, nothing good happens overnight. Try adding just a few sponges. After they become somewhate established, make some cuttings. The "blender method" of propagation has been used successfully many times with live sponge. Once I get my systems up and running again Keith, I will be glad to give you some sponges to experiment with. Right now, all my tanks are in a state of slow recovery, but seem to be stable.