My first reef tank 3 weeks old

kev311

Hi every body I finaly got around to getting this started after numerous arguments with the wife(she thinks my hobby is stupid and a waste of money lol) I would like more live rock but thats a sore spot with her(wife).I did have everything in a 20g but later came across a 40g truvu in someguys yardsale for 30 bucks. Not much to look at yet but it will get there(I cant seem to stop myself when it comes to this stuff(laugh).anyway here is a few pics.sorry about the pics im using a cheap point and shootDSC00519.jpg[/img]

DSC00518.jpg[/img]

DSC00517.jpg[/img]

Yea it is a waste of money but after all isn't everything a waste of money unless it is providing for your basic need to live? With that said the tank looks nice, and little bare but you have to get more money to waste on it before that will come around(laugh). I bet one year from now that thing will be covered just like all of ours. Things have a way of sneaking in the tank little by little. Before you know it you'll be like me with a 75, no room, and in desperate need of a bigger tank once again. (I started in a 29g, maybe 6 years ago). Overall though, it looks great, keep wasting that money!!!!!

Oh and remember to (hidesbehindsofa) when (wife) she comes at you for buying the stuff!(laugh)

Looking good. You will slowly fill it over time. See if you can get her involved in making the decisions as to what to put in there and it may help. For the live rock there are ways to help keep the cost down. (I wish I would have known them when I started) One is to watch here for people selling their live rock cheap (I've seen 3 or 4 great deals on LR over the last week or two), another is to find someone selling dry base rock and then let it turn into live rock on it's own, (This has the advantage of weighing less as well as the lower cost of the rock), and then you can always go the DIY route and make your own. (This is probably the cheapest but it takes a long time)