10k,14k,or 20k

I tested a bunch of bulbs when I put my 400w lights in and I found that none of the manufacturers seem to be able to match each others colors. I have a 12k here that is as blue as any of the 20k I have and I have a 20k that is as yellow as any 12k. So far the one with the color I like best is the 15k XM. I haven't tested any Radiums though.

I agree, I really enjoyed the XM 14/15k bulb (mine was stamped 14k a number of years ago)

The only reason I did not go HQI (DE) is due to the lack of choice in bulbs at the time. I know they have gotten better but I cant say as I don't have much experience with them but if it was me I would probably go with something like the XM 20k DE, reason being is with a HQI bulb you should get about the same PAR as what a non HQI bulb would put out around 15k. So you can get great PAR because of your HQI setup and great color. I personally avoided HQI though for fear of heat, bulb life, color choices (mostly only hamilton bulbs when I looked) and the slight increase in electrical use... all which could be argued but they where factors in my choice at the time.

http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/Metal_Halide/Bulbs/XM_Lighting/250W_20000K_Metal_Halide_Bulb_%28Double-ended%29_by_XM_Lighting

I am running 3 - 400 watt SE PFO ballasts. I am currently running 20K radiums, but am now in need of new lights. I was thinking of running 10K's with 440 watts of VHO Actinic suppliments.

What do you think, 10K, 12K, or 14/15K. with/actinics.

Jay

• Like 1

I have 3 MH 2 20k and 1 10k the 20's run for an hour in the morning then the 10 kicks on for about 6hrs during the day while im at work so when i get home i get to enjoy the blue but get some growth from the 10k while im at work. I have 2 XM's and just bought an icecap like them both.

I have also heard that Ushio makes the best bulbs...they make the 18k that I am looking at.

who told you ushio makes the best bulbs? whoever said that is crazy. i dont know how anyone can say that one manufacturer truly makes a better bulb than another. all the name brand bulbs are good, after that it is preference.

in DE i like phoenix 14k, super high PAR, bulb life, and great blue color

in SE i like radium 20k, they seem to make corals pop unlike any other bulb.

• Like 1

i might add that color is all dependent on what kind of ballast you have...whether you are overdriving your bulbs or underdriving them. for example...if you have a 20k bulb being powered by a M80 ballast it is going to be much whiter than the same bulb being powered by an electronic ballast. The M80 will overdrive, causing whiter light, and higher PAR, and most of the time a shorter bulb life, the electronic is just the opposite, bluer, less PAR, less electricity used, usually longer life. People like both for different reasons. Bulb choice is often dependent on the ballast...not only for color, but of running: the radiums need a pulse start type ballast to fire.

I apologize, that statement was to vague....what I should have said was I have heard that Ushio makes an 18k bulb that is supposed to be a perfect mix of color and growth potential....which if it were true then they would "make the best bulb"....second mistake was adding an "s" to "bulb" making it plural.

I apologize' date=' that statement was to vague....what I should have said was I have heard that Ushio makes an 18k bulb that is supposed to be a perfect mix of color and growth potential....which if it were true then they would "make the best bulb"....second mistake was adding an "s" to "bulb" making it plural.[/quote']

its all good. i just know that there are a lot of manufacturers out there that make good bulbs.

if they make an 18k bulb that is the best mix of color and growth that is great. it still probably cant be said to be the best bulb. the phoenix 14k has the color of most 20k bulbs, and has PAR that exceeds most of the top brand 10k bulbs.