10k,14k,or 20k

I am second guessing my decision to get the 250w hqi 10k mh bulbs? I have two of them coupled with my geissmann blues. I have two of them in my maristar and I don't know? It seems like some of my montis and chalices just don't like it. There are two or three of my corals that are bleaching out and looks like they are dieing? What do you think? Which is the best for SPS, LPS and Softies?

Clay

I really like and currently use 14k Phoenix HQI bulbs, nice white light with a blueish tint. The only other HQI bulbs i've tried are 14k Ushio bulbs and they were white with yellow tints. Not nice at all. Here's a pic of the tank with just the MH on. HTH

3586718878_3412cfa62f_b.jpg

• 1 month later...

I have 14k sps in my tank and I get mixed feelings about them. They aren't par crazy bulbs but they are 400 watters over a 24inch deep tank so it's not really that big of an issue. I really like the color of the bulbs, rock, oranges, reds, greens but they tend to wash out blues and purples if that makes any sense.

I ran the 14K phoenix SE and loved it. I've been trying new bulbs each time I need to change' date=' and that was my favorite.[/quote']

I was about to tell you that Phoenix doesn't make a SE lamp. Google is my friend!

The 250w DE lamp runs around $60, but the 250w SE is $100!!!

So for me, I would run the phoenix for DE fixtures. For SE I would run a radium, or XM20k.

The SE Radium/XM20k, looks close to my DE phoenix.

I would take a 20k any day of the week for color (coralvue SE) but for growth I will probably end up getting the 14k this year. I ran the 14k XM for a year and loved it, then ran the 20k for 2 years and loved it more. Think of it like this lower K more growth but whiter color, higher K Better color and less growth. I still have seen corals in my tank quadrouple in size in a year easily with a 20k though.

I was about to tell you that Phoenix doesn't make a SE lamp. Google is my friend!

The 250w DE lamp runs around $60, but the 250w SE is $100!!!

Ha! thought you could prove me wrong, eh!

Yikes - definitely wasn't $100K when I bought it. Now that you mention it, I think they had recently started making the SE when I got mine. Usually, the DE's are more expensive than the SE.

It's funny how subjective things are - the color of bulbs people like. To me, the 20K's are too blue and throw off some of the colors - and other people 20K is the only choice for the best color.

That being said, I've been convinced to go with the Galaxy/20K radium combination when I (finally) set up a new tank.

I tested a bunch of bulbs when I put my 400w lights in and I found that none of the manufacturers seem to be able to match each others colors. I have a 12k here that is as blue as any of the 20k I have and I have a 20k that is as yellow as any 12k. So far the one with the color I like best is the 15k XM. I haven't tested any Radiums though.