Recent troubles with the GOC and frags

Recent troubles with the GOC and frags  

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No keep going

The one thing I would like to see for maybe the next comp would be to frag the colony place them in a tank and give them a week of healing time to insure they are viable frags then dish them out. I believe that would eliminate the need for this thread.

I agree 100%. I'm not 100% sure but I think a portion of them were fragged right out of the donor tank as well and then went directly to the competitors while the rest went through a great deal more.

I see several problems with the way this started. Hopefully these will be addressed for anyone that competes in the next competition.

1: For those of us that received our frags first it was a complete coin toss because there was no healing time to verify they were okay first. (I mentioned this in the other thread where I believe those with a delay getting theirs actually have an advantage even though they thought they had a disadvantage)

2: Everyone either needs to receive them the same day or at least have an opportunity to get them the same day. It needs to be set up so that any that are shipped are done so a day before any that are available to be picked up. Perhaps shipping all of them was actually a better idea since that would eliminate the delays that occurred. (Even I still had one person local that didn't have theirs until 3 days after I received them) Extending the finish time is not a fair solution either.

3: All of the frags need to go through the same treatment even if that means some inconvenience. (All of the fragging should be done in the same place and all of them should go in the same healing tank) In a rush to get this started (something I advised against) care was not taken to be sure everyone started on the same footing.

4: Their should be more advance notification for any that need to be picked up. I.E. Frags will be available in 2 weeks on such and such a date at this location from this time to this time. If you are unable to pick them up between those times then you may do so after that date/time (not before) by making arrangements however you will have to accept whatever is left at that time. The way it actually occurred I found out they would be ready to pick up that day. I lost on this because I let everyone else choose first (some unable to get them the same day having had no advance notice) and then took what was left myself even though I drove around for 3 or 4 hours picking them up and making deliveries, and then waited at home other times for others to pick theirs up. (By volunteering to help I ended up helping myself right out of the competition)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But is it the fault of the supply? How can death be a reason for a refund? maybe they died due to the contestant

Maybe they died because of handling or disease before they were given out as well. (I've never had Zoa Pox in my tank before) There was no healing time to verify that it was not and therefore it is hard to say for certain that it was or was not a supply issue.

I also had 4 other zoa frags I handled the same exact way that day and the day before (One which I picked up at the same time as them from Eric) that are all looking superb and therefore I am convinced it was a problem before I ever had my hands on them. Especially since I am not the only one that had the same problem. I believe it is more likely that this was something that started to spread through the colony that had not reached all of it. (Or may have and some of us may have just been affected faster which I sincerely hope is not the case)

I would say no, this shouldn't be restarted. I have yet to receive my frag, and it could die in shipping. My main thought is that I have never had a zoanthid die from fragging, and have had tons of fresh cut frags, and traded/sold them too. I have gone over to numerous houses, saw something I liked and took home an unmounted frag that day. It could be a number of things that caused the death, but it can't be pinpointed to the frags being faulty if the mother colony is still in perfect health.

We (Dsoz, CA2OR, and I) pretty much tore apart the mother colony to make the frags. They were mostly 5 polyp pieces, although a few had 3+2 or 4+1 to make up a frag. If it was just one or two people having the issue then I could see maybe it was just something freak, but the fact that many are having some sort of issue with them, I personally think we should try to get new ones out to people who have either lost theirs or are having some melting away problem. After all it is a game and their is no sense in playing if it isn't fun:D. Whether it opens or not right away it still counts as a polyp. I think we have enough pieces left over to add polyps to some that have 1 or 2 melted or troubled and replace complete losses. I will have to double check though.;)

The one thing I would like to see for maybe the next comp would be to frag the colony place them in a tank and give them a week of healing time to insure they are viable frags then dish them out. I believe that would eliminate the need for this thread.

I agree with this thought.

I would say no' date=' this shouldn't be restarted. I have yet to receive my frag, and it could die in shipping. My main thought is that I have never had a zoanthid die from fragging, and have had tons of fresh cut frags, and traded/sold them too. I have gone over to numerous houses, saw something I liked and took home an unmounted frag that day. It could be a number of things that caused the death, but it can't be pinpointed to the frags being faulty if the mother colony is still in perfect health.[/quote']

I agree with you. I got my frags on wednesday (brokenzoa and I) and they look just fine. Still look a tad bit stressed but hey whaddaya do??? The only reason I don't think we should restart is the fact that there are still people in this competition who have managed to keep their frags in good shape. I wish I could take credit for mine but dsoz has been caring for mine untill delivery. With this being said, if something happens to my frag, I wouldn't even think of accepting a new one. It's called a graceful loss. In the end theres gonna be more people that lose. Just my .02. Take it for what it's worth.

You all started. Finish what you started. Fix it on the 2nd go. Not every piece will live anyway. The talk starts to find out what tank perims did they do good in and what it didn't. Remember, it is a competition. But don't forget it is to learn from. To help each other. To have less loss and better overall success.

You all started. Finish what you started. Fix it on the 2nd go. Not every piece will live anyway. The talk starts to find out what tank perims did they do good in and what it didn't. Remember' date=' it is a competition. But don't forget it is to learn from. To help each other. To have less loss and better overall success.[/quote']

you post some really valid points also. I always thought when people compete, they well......compete. I know when I'm playing cards or something like that and someone else wins they don't look over at me and say "dang dude, you got a really bad hand. You wanna redo???" No matter what we do, there will be things learned from this. That is inevitable. I think there are things that can be tweaked but don't think it's fair to those who have managed to keep their frags alive.

In that case I think there should be consideration of new frags to those who want them for another competition. Or a refund. But not new frags for this contest' date=' since that would change things for others still in the game[/quote']

Your frags must have been nice and healthy (laugh).Reminds me of playing poker and someone calling a misdeal when I had a royal flush and haveing to take another hand.

hehehe Jay

Funny, I was going to use the same analogy. If I'm playing poker then I expect the cards to be shuffled. If they are not all of the cards are tossed back and a new hand is dealt. The only reason I didn't earlier is I don't want to participate when anyone thinks it might be unfair which will apply now regardless of what happens. I.E. Even if it started over I no longer wish to compete because people think it may be unfair to do so. What they don't realize is that unfair applies regardless of whether it's an advantage or disadvantage.

Your frags must have been nice and healthy (laugh).Reminds me of playing poker and someone calling a misdeal when I had a royal flush and haveing to take another hand.

hehehe Jay

I'm not even in the competition. I am just saying what I think should happen based on what I would want if I was in the contest. Even if I was and some of my zoa's melted I would not want to start over. I guess I am competitive like that. I would compete with what I had, and hope that next time things are more fair in the sense that frags are given healing time. IMO

I would like to see next time all the frags healed and securley on the same frag plugs for everyone.That means the colony would have to be gotten 1-2 months ahead of time. If people then want to remove them from the plugs at home to put them on there own that would be there choice but then the frags would hopefully be given the same chance.

I would like to see next time all the frags healed and securley on the same frag plugs for everyone.That means the colony would have to be gotten 1-2 months ahead of time. If people then want to remove them from the plugs at home to put them on there own that would be there choice but then the frags would hopefully be given the same chance.

I would also prefer that we all receive adult polyps.. maybe it doesn't matter to some, but it feels a bit unequal with some get 5 babies to start with and others have adults.

Either way... the two baby polyps I have left will beat your big ones in the end mwhahaha (plotting)

You only got babies grassi? Your comment at the end is kinda ironic. I was just having a conversation with someone today about the baby polyps and they said the same thing. I actually have one of the less polyp frags that were cut, that only had 4 babies and now it has 5 babies.

I am planning on picking up the next grow out colony with in the next 2 weeks (4 at most). I will acclimate them for about 3 weeks then cut into equal frags and sit on them until this competition is over. That should provide enough time for healing and allow for proper frag dispersal on the next comp, i.e. everyone gets them on the same day.