Recent troubles with the GOC and frags

Recent troubles with the GOC and frags  

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No keep going

I am reading more and more "pull out" threads then I would like to see. I am also seeing several issues arising with the frags although I am not experiencing any of them. We have all been receiving frags from the same colonies so the problems, I would imagine, would be around the house. Hard to tell at this point as things sometimes take longer to show in some tanks then others. So to be fair to all involved (whether you have pulled out, not yet received frags, or whatever) I am considering getting new colony and sending out new frags. One problem that arises is that really use the same zoa's now. I think we would have to use different one's as some will already have 4 or so. I am thinking of also providing more polyps per frag. I do apologies to all that have either experienced issues or not recieved your stuff yet. There will not be any additional entrance fee's to those already in. There would be a later start date though. EVERYONE WILL RECEIVE THEIR FRAGS ON THE SAME DAY IF WE DO! That was supposed to be what happened this time, again I apologize, but as it worked out Dsoz and Snowpunk assisted with the fraging and took thier frags with them, Rick also swung by and Garrett already had them available. This will be sorted out on the restart. GOC would be posponed for a week or 2 at most.

What do you think? I need your input.

Question is should we restart?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm....yeah? that is a hard one! Cause it's hard to do if there is nothing wrong with the mother colony? I have to come back to the purpose of the competition. Is it turn learn about eachothers methods? Or is it to win the prize? I think there are alot of factors in every tank that can play a part in disease, death and the factors that we can't control acclimation, and shock?! Me, I feel that competition side of me and the wanting of the prize that makes me want to have a little competition as possible. And then there is the real side of me that wants to have everybody in it. So I think we should do this competition with the original polyps that we all are suppose to get a piece of or already got a piece of and then have another competition with another mother colony and maybe give the people that have bowed out half off of the entry fees for the next competition and maybe even start it sooner than later? what do you think?

If the mother colony is good then continue the comp. That is the nature of competition. When I was a drag racer for a few years professionaly a win was a win. I didn't care how I got it. weather the other guy sucked, his car broke, whatever reason. Its a competition and there has to be losers. I do think that a new comp could be started soon after this one is done and the improvements could be made.

No. None of the ones I have are experiencing any issues. I mean yeah some have only 4 polyps open but that is normal. I have bought enough zoa's in the past to know that sometimes that happens. They were picked up, dropped in a new spin up of water, fragged, and sent out all in the same day so I was expecting some if not most to not have all 5 open right away.

I just want this to be fair and work out for all involved. I don't want to see everyone pulling out. If there is a problem with these let's get it resolved and have a good comp. I would like to see all that pulled out to come back in. Plus the issue with some getting frags almost a week after others. That isn't cool. Although it may be in their favor right about now as I have no issues with the ones I still have.

If the mother colony is good then continue the comp. That is the nature of competition. When I was a drag racer for a few years professionaly a win was a win. I didn't care how I got it. weather the other guy sucked' date=' his car broke, whatever reason. Its a competition and there has to be losers. I do think that a new comp could be started soon after this one is done and the improvements could be made.[/quote']

I do agree with this too. my only problem is some are pulling out within 24hrs of getting their frags. Should I replace those frags?

that is a hard call to make. If the frags were healthy when given to them. AS much as we can tell then its not your fault that this happened. It could easily be the error of the person from a number of reasons. How many times have we all added a seemingly healthy coral to your tank for it only to die soon after. I say that is life. Giving a new frag could change the fairness of the comp since some are living with partial die off.

no I don't think you should be handing out frags to everyone who loses theirs. What's the purpose. At that point is it really a competition?? I mean, yeah it's about fun but..........it's still a competition. Sorta like football. If a football team loses their heisman qb, they don't have someone else supply them with another heisman. they deal with what they have. (sorry may be a poor example but you get my drift)

The one thing I would like to see for maybe the next comp would be to frag the colony place them in a tank and give them a week of healing time to insure they are viable frags then dish them out. I believe that would eliminate the need for this thread.

The one thing I would like to see for maybe the next comp would be to frag the colony place them in a tank and give them a week of healing time to insure they are viable frags then dish them out. I believe that would eliminate the need for this thread.

that sounds like a great idea

As much as I would like the competition to be restarted, it wouldn't be fair to all the others who didn't have problems.

Sure it would have been nice to have healing time before we picked up our frags. The ones that will be receiving their frags soon do have an advantage since they have more than a week to heal (new polyps are probably already growing on them lol since CA2OR's tank grows zoas like mad). I think for the next comp, it would be better to frag and give them a week to heal. Then when it is time to pick up, pack them up like a grab bag so no one can see what they got. Some may already be growing new ones so we don't want people to have choice picks.

For some reason....green zoas don't do well in my tank. Your creamsicle one is alive and kicking! Hopefully I didn't just jinx it.

I voted no but I didn't realize these were fresh frags all frags would need at least 2 weeks to heal for it to be a fair to say everyone had the same chance, I would say if folks have lost there frags already they should get a credit on the next competition instead of calling this one off but this is just my opinion.

I voted no but I didn't realize these were fresh frags all frags would need at least 2 weeks to heal for it to be a fair to say everyone had the same chance' date=' I would say if folks have lost there frags already they should get a credit on the next competition instead of calling this one off but this is just my opinion.[/quote']

I agree with Jody on letting the frags heal for a good 2 weeks. That is a must.

I also think next time it should be scheaduled around a meeting to where at least one representative from the are can pick up frags then so distribution goes a little smoother.

I'm really no partial to either outcome. What ever the group chooses is fine with me. My frag has 1 polyp that has yet to open at all but the others open every now and then just like other zoas. usually 3 at a time but I have seen 4 open a few times. This time around we were kinda scrambling to get it together in time. For the next one I would really like to see if we can get the donator to help frag them and even hold them until distribution day. This would make it fair to all about the acclimation process to everyones tanks. It would also allow the frags to be less stressed in healing since they wouldn't be introduced to new water along with being cut. I like the idea of free entry into the next GOC but some may just want their money back. I'll talk about it with Eric later based on everybody's thoughts here and we will try to figure out what the best route is to take and soon. ;)

I agree with Jody on letting the frags heal for a good 2 weeks. That is a must.

I also think next time it should be scheaduled around a meeting to where at least one representative from the are can pick up frags then so distribution goes a little smoother.

Maybe these competitions should run from August bbq to Dec Xmas meetings and so on. Those are the two biggest meetings and have the most diverse turnout.

I am reading more and more "pull out" threads then I would like to see. I am also seeing several issues arising with the frags although I am not experiencing any of them. We have all been receiving frags from the same colonies so the problems' date=' I would imagine, would be around the house. Hard to tell at this point as things sometimes take longer to show in some tanks then others. So to be fair to all involved (whether you have pulled out, not yet received frags, or whatever) I am considering getting new colony and sending out new frags. One problem that arises is that really use the same zoa's now. I think we would have to use different one's as some will already have 4 or so. I am thinking of also providing more polyps per frag. I do apologies to all that have either experienced issues or not recieved your stuff yet. There will not be any additional entrance fee's to those already in. There would be a later start date though. [b']EVERYONE WILL RECEIVE THEIR FRAGS ON THE SAME DAY IF WE DO![/b] That was supposed to be what happened this time, again I apologize, but as it worked out Dsoz and Snowpunk assisted with the fraging and took thier frags with them, Rick also swung by and Garrett already had them available. This will be sorted out on the restart. GOC would be posponed for a week or 2 at most.

What do you think? I need your input.

Question is should we restart?

My colony had 2 of the polyps fall off dead after 1.5 days...doesnt matter to me if I get another frag. I would like this one to grow into a colony so I have something for the moneys but in my opinion when you get a frag and it doesnt make it that is just your luck. Fragging a coral is trauma to the animal and puts it at risk of infection and death. I once traded Isaak at Seahorse a frogspawn with about 25 heads that was fine when it was in my tank but just transporting it in the bucket caused jelly disease and they all died I learned later. I know it was no problem with my his system....it may have been caused by some of the heads being scrapped against the side of the bucket. It is just fun partisipating in something for me. I dont really care if I win anything.....but I also wont turn down the spoils if I do...(naughty)

Jay

Amen to that (rock2)