Kole Tang White Discoloration

USCG CWO

My Kole Tang is rubbing against the rocks and is extremely shy. Anytime I go near the tank he runs a hides. This is not like him at all. The couple of times I have looked at him he doesn't have Ich that I can see, but when he turns I can see pale white discolorations on both his sides but only in a certain light. When he turns another way you can't see them.

Any Ideas? Catching him is not going to be easy.

I am currently going through something similar with my Kole. Mine was ich for sure though. He did get almost white also. Sadly I lost 3 other fish to ich before I got him out.

As far as catching him, see if anyone has a fish trap you can borrow. Patrick at fantaseas loaned me his and I got him and my pesky wrasse in just a couple days.

I have had h im in copper for about 3 or 4 days now and his color has returned and he is doing well. Still shy though, but he has always been skiddish compared to my other fish.

Hope that helps.

Hey Josh. I am keeping a close I on him and I am just not seeing the usual white puff or q-tip looking growths that I associate with Ich. The spots I am seeing are almost like he is losing color in places. No growths on the skin. You can only see them when he turns a certain way. He is a lot more skittish then normal and is still scratching himself along the rocks. I am wondering if he is stressed by something.

Shane

What kind of food are you feeding it? I know food can cause them to loose coloration but not sure about the scratching. (A few of my fish were fading until I changed their diet and started supplementing the food with vitamins)

The scratching makes me think ich. I do know that my kole was pretty hearty though. I lost a halfblack and a eibli mimic at the same time quickly and he, while looking like hell held on. His color has come back to him since being in qt.

Good luck and keep us posted.