"Oh crap, what happened......wait,?"

Dego Red

This was my reaction when I got home tonight. A freak leak, and the disappearing ich. I'll try to keep it short but...

I come home tonight to a display full of bubbles. "DOH! Sump must be low. Did the ATO not turn on?" Kneel down to check the reservoir; a wet knee and an empty supply, but no cracks... #1. I yell to the wife for the details, but she saw nothing 10min earlier before going to bed. We eyeball the sump after removing the skimmer, and she spots a stream of water down the back of the sump, so I pulled the neighboring filter sock. The stream stopped! The top of the sock was slightly over/touching the sump edge, but 2" above the water line. Could it really have wicked that far up? I studied fluid dynamics in college, and my guess would have been no!

#2:

Backstory - Two days earlier my purple tang was covered in white spots. Yeah, your guess was the same as mine...ich. So I snagged a 20L & stand from craigslist, added a pump, heater and bacteria-filled filter sponge form my existing sump, and my QT was ready for the sick fish (and his tank mates') transfer tomorrow morning. He's still very active, but no darting, scratching on rocks, etc., and still eats like a damned horse! He can't get enough nori.

Now, while refilling the sump and looking up at my tang, his ich is GONE. NO SPOTS. I did a ton of reading (RC) on the cysts, and I know part of the life cycle is that they drop off...but ALL of them? I didn't run across that, but could that be the case? None of the other fish have symptoms either.

With the QT and copper ready, I still intend to isolate the fish and treat them for the 6 weeks, but has anybody seen the above before? I've had leaks in the past, but not like this. And this is my first battle with ich, so any and all comments are welcomed.

Thanks for reading,

Mike

Mike... Do you think the bubbles in your display tank had removed ich from the fish???? I mean the bubble attach to the fish body and flow to the top of the tank with ich in it? I wish that is truth :-)

HA! I wish man. That certainly would be simpler than the other removal methods. Maybe that's why my skimmer has been so busy lately. (laugh)

Was your filter sock dirty enough to force the water to the top of it? I have had a similar thing happen in my sump on my frag tank where at the end of the week my water level inside the sock was just high enough to reach the top lip of the tank and basiclly the overflow "pumped" water all over the floor.

A Turbo snail plugging the overflow can flood a room. I know all about this one from it happening on a series of connected tanks!

Could there have been anything temporarily blocking the flow to the sump, causing the tank to overflow?

I've had just the draw string from a mesh bag hanging a quarter inch over the sump and it caused about 2 gallons worth of water loss over the course of a day.

Not really sure on the fish. Sounds odd but not impossible. I would still treat them so you can be sure you do not have ich any longer. One of the best things i've done to be honest.

What the heck, why didn't my last post show up? Must have been me. Anyway...

Ich is always there! My coral beauty had a touch of ich and then it went away....I didn't have to do anything. I read up on it and I discovered that ich is always there and if the fish are healthy they will not be susceptible. I don't know but I think your fish will be ok.

Clay

Unfortunately, I know you're right. It seems to go in 12hr cycles. He's ok for about that long, with only maybe a spot or two. Then last night I noticed him darting with more shown up, but I can't catch him.

I have some nori tied to my net and bent over the edge of the tank. He'll eat, but when I come near the tank, he wanders away. Once he was all the way IN the net by himself, but I looked too late. Hopefully I'll get to him when he's not paying attention. My QT is all ready to go...

Was your filter sock dirty enough to force the water to the top of it? I have had a similar thing happen in my sump on my frag tank where at the end of the week my water level inside the sock was just high enough to reach the top lip of the tank and basiclly the overflow "pumped" water all over the floor.

At first I would have said no, since I just adjusted it and it went all last night without issue. But today I plumbed the return from my newly installed phosphate reactor into the sock, and it was too much for it (only another 100gph) and it began running over the edge again. I'd say the combination of being to close to the edge of the sump and a 10-day-old filter sock may have been enough.