Silicone Problem

downhill_biker

After doing a little research GE Silicone 1 is recommended by many. Most people suggested anything that is 100% silicone and had no anti-mold characteristics, but GE Silicone 1 came up more than others as the recommended silicone.

So I went and bought some, fixed up my whole sump baffling with it. Then was reading the label to see how long it takes to dry and it said not to use on aquariums.

Here is the exact wording:

Not for surfaces that will exceed 400 degrees F, conditions where FDA compliance is necessary, or aquariums.

Is this because it isn't reef safe, or because they dont want to be liable for it being strong enough to hold an aquarium together. It says 100% silicone, and unlike other silicones I looked at today, it mentions nothing of preventing mold or mildew. Says "Standard Waterproof Caulk"

Ok, so I found the scoop. It is safe. They used to advertise that it was aquarium safe, but since have dropped that claim. They didn't want to spend the money researching and validating their claim of aquarium safe. They also decided to CYA on the deal and put the disclaimer on there, removing liability. After reading an email from a GE rep, it is safe, but must be fully cured.

See then they can put that same silicon into a tube half the size and mark it up 300-500% and call it aquarium safe.

I think that's closer to reality.

Not sure if you ran across it or not but part of the ones sold also say they have mold inhibitors but an email from the manufacturer posted on one of the sites stated that it is really the same as the the original stuff (Basically just an advertising scheme). I.E. If it's 100% Silicone then it should be good to go as long as it is fully cured. Personally I used all 3 here (Type I, Type II, and the stuff labeled specifically for aquariums). All of it gave off the same odor when being applied and there is no sign that any of it was harmful.

I think that's closer to reality.

Not sure if you ran across it or not but part of the ones sold also say they have mold inhibitors but an email from the manufacturer posted on one of the sites stated that it is really the same as the the original stuff (Basically just an advertising scheme). I.E. If it's 100% Silicone then it should be good to go as long as it is fully cured. Personally I used all 3 here (Type I, Type II, and the stuff labeled specifically for aquariums). All of it gave off the same odor when being applied and there is no sign that any of it was harmful.

I dont know if I would trust anything besides Type I. It is the only one that doesnt mention mold inhibitors. The others may or may not have them, but I wont chance it, especially since the type I is the cheapest anyways. The odor smells like vinegar, which I think it is, because vinegar on your finger keeps the silicone off, and probably keeps the silicone plyable.

Miles, you probably are right. Why have it on the label advertising and selling the stuff cheap, when you can cut the bottle size in and charge 4x the price.