Clown Fish ID?

Rick

Can anyone tell if these are True Perculas or Ocellaris? I was told Percula and they look like they are shaped a little different from the Orange Ocellaris I have in my other tank. It's unclear from searching though if it is even possible to find all black/white perculas so I'm not sure. I'm also having trouble getting a good enough picture (They tend to blend into the background) to really count the dorsal fins.

attachment.php?attachmentid=5006&d=1245922611

post-5811-14186777691_thumb.jpg

Amphiprion Ocellaris.

There is no solid black/white Amphiprion Percula.

Who sold them to you as A. Percula?

Nice pair!

Thanks, These are a mated pair that were given to me so it really doesn't matter either way. I was told by an LFS a few weeks ago that the solid black with no yellow on the face were Australian. Do you know if that is true/false?

False.

Most available in LFS's are tank raised. Usually from ORA. Wild B/W Ocellaris will have orange on the mouth too. By the time they are 1-2 years old, it fades to black. It varies from fish to fish.

I have a 2" sub adult that has slight orange on his mouth, and a 1.5" that is completely black. Both came from ORA.

Okay, so these are true percs then? It certainly looks like it to me. If so then the LFS I bought them from told me they were Ocellaris. LOL, it appears they were both reversed. In all fairness to Patrick though these were brought in by a customer and were still floating in bags when I bought them. Is the chance greater that these are wild caught? She never fails to try to hit my hand if I put it in the tank.

attachment.php?attachmentid=5015&stc=1&d=1245972189

attachment.php?attachmentid=5016&stc=1&d=1245972189

post-5811-141867745905_thumb.jpg

post-5811-141867745909_thumb.jpg

Those are A. Ocellaris.

Nice Rose! Did you get it @ SWF?

Huh? Eveything I could find to ID them said that 10 spines on the dorsal are Percs while 11 or 12 would be Ocellaris. I only count 10 unless I missed one somewhere.

I got the rose 2 days ago as a bonus for helping move a tank. I don't know it's origin but there were several more in the tank it came from.

It's tough to tell by counting dorsal fins. Sometimes it's even harder to tell by looking at the outer ring of the eye (light color=percula, dark=ocellaris).

I'm still pretty sure it's an ocellaris, possibly captive bred.

Nice pair either way!

Your orange pair sure looks like Ocellaris to me. I would agree with chewie that the B&W's are ocellaris also. I have seen people advertise that they have B&W percula's but you will find people all day long that say they don't exist. Also based on their apparent size and coloring if they were perculas there should be a much more defined black outline on the striping. The striking at your hand is coincidental. One of my most aggressive fish is a captive bred female B&W ocellaris.

Dave

I don't know it's origin but there were several more in the tank it came from.

Matt said that he moved it up here with everything in it 2 years ago. He said that he went into Soutas once and SWFS once and did not buy anything.

I got one of them too. I don't really like the white spots, but it does glow more under my lights than my current RBTA clones. Maybe it will cool out after a while under the T5 lights.

dsoz

Your orange pair sure looks like Ocellaris to me. I would agree with chewie that the B&W's are ocellaris also. I have seen people advertise that they have B&W percula's but you will find people all day long that say they don't exist. Also based on their apparent size and coloring if they were perculas there should be a much more defined black outline on the striping. The striking at your hand is coincidental. One of my most aggressive fish is a captive bred female B&W ocellaris.

Dave

My most aggressive clown was captive bred as well

Dave

Do you have true percs over there? If so maybe I could come check them out one of these days? (I finally found a reason to visit "THE" local clown farm I keep hearing about) I've searched hi and low for good information to describe the differences and the only thorough descriptions said that while the lines, eyes, etc. were usually indications one way or the other the only sure way to tell was by the spine count on the dorsal fin. Apparently even that isn't a definitive way to tell. It doesn't really make much difference to me I would just like to nail it down for future reference.