A few probs i could use some help with

impur

I have been inspecting with a magnifying glass a lot the last few days. The purple acro has not gotten worse at all, and for the life of me there are absolutely no AEFW on it that i can see. The slimer is farther away from the front glass, but its showing much better PE since being moved. I'm going to hold off doing a heavy lugols dip for a few more days to see if they improve at all.

Ok sat in front of the tank for another 20 min just staring at these 2 corals. Man, with the obious exception of the bleached/dead spots, the corals look fine. The purple acro actually has some new flesh growing over the bleached area, good news. The slimer has PE on the stalk of it now, whereas the last few days it has had none. The bleaching looks to have stopped. Even has PE where i cut a branch off a few weeks ago.

I'll get some new pics tonight.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought i'd update this. The slimer continues to STN. Each day a little more. So Monday i fragged 4 braches off it and put the rest of the coral in a tupperware container overnight with 3 drops of Lugols to about 2 cups of water. Woke up next morning expecting it to be completely white. It wasn't, so i put it back in the tank. The frags looked good the first day, all of them had decent PE. But as the week has gone on, the frags are losing more and more color and PE is declining. The main colony has not shown any PE all week, it has browned out, but the STN has stopped. This afternoon the frags look terrible, so what the heck, i tossed them in the container with 3 drops Lugols until i get home from work around 6. We'll see how it goes from here.

So i think i will lose the slimer completely. The purple acro has not worsened. But it has not grown any new flesh over the bleached area either.

I just can't believe i'm going to lose the slimer from having it in a lower flow area for 4 days. Reminds you how delicate these corals are.

Thanks Stacy! It is frusterating when you don't know why. I'd like to learn from this experience for the future, but am only working on a guess that the lower flow for a few days did the slimer in.

I don't even have a guess as to what happened to the purple tricolor.

Hey Miles as for the purple one is concerned. Don't start worrying about the tissue growing back. It usually takes about a week or two till it will start. I had a stag just RTN a little bit on me. I made sure I fed it frozen cyclops and dosed the tank with DT's. In a little time the tissue started to come back. That's the next thing I would do, is to increase its metabolic rate by feeding it some photoplankton, rotifers, or cyclops. Just take a turkey baster and just bast the "stuff" all of it.

Oh yeah, I also used that coral sanitiser, which consists mostly of iodine, to kill off any bad bacteria that could be deteriorating the tissue. I would do that first, but then again I don't know what that stuff you dipped the slimer in earlier.

It was just Lugols iodine. I haven't dipped the purple acro in it yet, the bleaching has stopped on it and hasn't progressed for a good week. I was suprised to see the recession stop on the slimer after the iodine dip. Might be something to remember for the future.

Thanks for the suggestions Jansen. I haven't tried target feeding it yet. I just got those reef-roids, might be a perfect time to try it out. I also have some DT's oyster eggs that the SPS seem to love. I'll try it out after work tonight.

Thanks.

Miles

Well i've spot fed the troubled corals over the weekend. Will probably do it again tonight. Here is how they looked yesterday. The purple is recovering real nicely. I'm going to lose all the frags of the slimer and ironically, its the main part i chopped up that has not receeded anymore.

P4260184.jpg

P4260185.jpg

P4260188.jpg

P4260187.jpg