A few probs i could use some help with

impur

Hey everyone, i'm a little stumped on what is happening in my tank to specifically some of my SPS corals. My pH has been on the low side, around 7.8 at night and 8.0 daytime. I'm not overly concerned about that, but now i've got some odd bleaching on 2 of my corals. One is an awesome green slimer i got from Mike, the other a nice purple w/ green polyps. I just noticed the bleached spot on the purple one, the slimer had been down on the sand and i have since moved it up a bit in hopes that it was needing more light. But the purple is a mystery to me why its happening. The whole coral looks fine otherwise. Here are the pics. I just checked my levels 5 minutes ago as well and all is fine there.

temp 79.5

pH 7.9

SG 1.025

alk 8dKH

calcium 450ppm

phos 0ppm

nitrates 0ppm

nitrites 0ppm

ammonia 0ppm

P4070102.jpg

P4070097.jpg

P4070094.jpg

slimer yesterday

P4070095.jpg

P4070096.jpg

slimer this morning

P4070100.jpg

P4070099.jpg

Skimmate is mediocre at best. I'm going to clean it and soak the pump in vinegar to see if i can get better production. My cheato isn't growing worth a crap either which is odd.

I'm not sure how i can bump up the pH and keep it there though.

Low PH, hmmm, did you read my recent whoops? Perhaps your (do you have a...) calcium reactor is pushing too much C02 to the tank? That will definately do it. The things that usually contribute to a higher PH are the substrate, rock and levels of Alk, O2 and other chemicals in the tank. You may consider renewing some of the hard calcium (rock, sand).

Are your dissolved levels of oxygen ok? Is your bioload pretty high? Are you brewing kalkwasser at all? Any new additives?

No CA reactor. I'm dripping kalk 24/7 at a rate of 135ml/hr. Bioload consists of 2 percs, a cleaner shrimp, and a porcelin crab as well as normal snails and hermits. I don't have a way to test dissolved oxygen. Only new additive is switching from Kent superbuffer to seachem reef builder.

Someone suggested having the effluent drip instead of submerging the tube. I don't understand how that helps with gas exchange, but it can be done. Perhaps run the c02 into a fuge with macro to try to limit the co2 going to the display. The other way is to add a second chamber to the reactor to try to dissolve the media to calcium bicarbonate further.

CO2 is not the only thing that will make the PH fall tho. Think about things like over feedings, undiscovered dead fish/inverts, or lack of buffer.

The Kalk should start you on your way back up. That stuff has a PH of like 11! Use an additive to get it back into a tolerable place initially, but over a long period of time, say 24 hours. Drip the solution or something like that.

I would get on the water change thing and do a couple of 25%ers in a week at the least on my tank. Change some of the substrate. And test again. And test your test kit.

If you have a problem with dissolved oxygen, all your inverts will go to the top of the tank to get closer to oxygen evtering at the surface.

Are the two additives you swapped comparable? Ie, does one Buffer and the other add a trace element or stronium/calcium? I dunno as I don't really dose much besides Iodine and amino acids.

That's what I was thinking. I just didn't want to say it as I figured someone much wiser than myself would speak up. ;)

Stacy

I sure hope so! The slimer is still declining, although it looks to be leveling off. Still have PE and more so than the last few weeks. The purple has always had PE and still does now, it has looked great thru the whole thing. Its odd that the bleacing was on the backside of the coral. Luckily i spotted it, who knows how long its been going on.

I checked the purple coral the last few nights with a bright LED light for AEFW. I don't really know what they look like so its going to be hard to see any. I didn't see any and the bleached area is not getting worse at this point.

Does anyone think redbugs would have anything to do with this? I mean they don't live on the slimer so it rules them out for its problems.