Bristolworm Hitchhikers - Where to put them?

Rick

Bristolworm Hitchhikers - Where to put them?  

1. 1.

• Put them in the Display
    • Put them in the Nano
    • Put them in the Sump
    • None of the above

I just obtained a Sea Urchin and Leather Coral and when I transferred them into the tank I noticed 2 bristolworms in the bucket. These are both over 3" long but look to be less than 4" as well. Given the unique oppurtunity to decide where to put them what would you do? I can put them in the display? Into the sump? or into the 15.5 Gal. Nano tank I recently set up. The Nano has a built in sump area but otherwise doesn't have much for filtration so I'm thinking it may be good to put them there to help with detritus. I already have 1 for certain and perhaps more than that in the display.

attachment.php?attachmentid=4990&stc=1&d=1245842327

post-5811-141867776889_thumb.jpg

Yes you probably have more. I pulled a few pcs of LR out this weekend and after sitting in a bucket for 10 mins here were a few in the bottom. I think you should just toss them back in the tank as they are a good for the tank. I have yet to see them do any harm but have also not seen them get real big. I did see a pic of one that was about 18 inchs long though:eek: Do not think I would want that in my display.

I voted for all three. Anywhere you put them should be fine.

I take that back... If you have a bare sump, don't put them in there. Only if there is a lot of rock, rubble, or sand. The would not do good with bare bottom.

If you have natural live rock, you probably have more. For every one you find, there are probably 10 more that you don't know about.

dsoz

If it makes any difference I spotted 2 more in the display when I was moving around the rocks today. I'm guessing that if there are not enough there already then there soon will be. In one chamber of my sump I have about 3" of sand. The second chamber I'm slowly adding rock and rubble into. (Only a few pieces in there right now)

I agree with Dosz. IN the sump would be cool but only if you have rock and rubble. They need that to be in and hide. otherwise I would say neither. You proabaly have some in both already as they a lot of the time come on rock and corals. When I had my tank crash I had removed one that was about 6-8 inches long and super fat! They grow quick!!!

Well, I kind of went against the grain a bit and put them in the Nano tank. I know there are a few in the display tank already and while I do have a chamber with sand in the sump there are not many rocks/rubble in there yet. I figure I'll let them help keep the detritus in check in the Nano since it will take the most work to keep a balance.

• 2 weeks later...