Grow Out Contest (Tank Summery)

My tank feels so inadequate up against these monsters you guys are posting!

Tank: 15.5g cube

Sump: 7 gallon

Filtration: 40 lbs LR

Lighting: 150w metal halide, 20K radium

Flow: Rio return pump and a koralia nano

Livestock: 2 false percs, diamond goby, LMB, 3" maxi clam, lots of zoos, ricordia, mushrooms, feather duster worm.

Don't you also have some frogspawn in there? I hope that it is doing OK. If not, let me know so I can make it right with you.

dsoz

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Display tank size/shape

125 gallon 4" X 2' X 2' Acrylic

LPS and SPS

Sump yes

25 gallon Sump houses:

ASM 3 Skimmer

Finnex 800 watt heater controlled by Ranco Dual Stage Temp Controller

PCI C-500 1/2 HP Chiller fed by Gen-x PCX40 controlled by Ranco DSTC

ATO

Magnum 350 for Carbon

Refugium Yes

15 gallon with a 5 inch deep sandbed. Variety of Macro Algaes.

Estimated total gallons to system

165 gallons

Lighting

(2) 400 watt single ended Radium bulbs ran off of PFO ballasts (1)175 watt single ended Blue Line bulb ran off of PFO ballasts 14K

- DIY Luminarcs and (2) 110 watt Actinic VHO

Flow

Flow is controlled by a Closed Loop. (2) 1.5" inlets to a Amp master 3000Pump. (4) 1" outlets

Time established

Current iteration has been established since for about 1 1/2.

TANK

29 Gallon JBJ Glass Nano-cube.

Built in Refuge with cheato.10 watt 6500K PC

3 gallon sump w/ PCI RPS 1000 Skimmer

Built-in Dual 300gph PH on ocean pulse Wavemaker

Rio 500gph sump pump.

HQI 150 MH, 14k Phoenix bulb.

50# live rock Just replaced all my rock so it is re-cycling , so I am kinda at a disadvantage.

Don't you also have some frogspawn in there? I hope that it is doing OK. If not, let me know so I can make it right with you.

dsoz

You're totally right! I forgot to write the frogspawn down. Forgot my awesome fungia too! I'm not used to them in there yet! Everything is doing great though, looks awesome. i really love that FS, I'm so happy that I decided to take some home. Thank you bunches!

My tank feels so inadequate up against these monsters you guys are posting!

Tank: 15.5g cube

Sump: 7 gallon

Filtration: 40 lbs LR

Lighting: 150w metal halide, 20K radium

Flow: Rio return pump and a koralia nano

Livestock: 2 false percs, diamond goby, LMB, 3" maxi clam, lots of zoos, ricordia, mushrooms, feather duster worm.

Really because I fully expect my wife's little tank to outgrow mine by far. I wouldn't sweat it at all.

I have a 30g Acrylic with 6g built on back for refugium.

Filtration:

First chamber has live rock rubble

Second chamber skimmer (Berlin 60 air driven)

third chamber cheato

then the water goes through my UV sterilizer (turbo twist 2) to the canister filter (Fluval 403 which seconds as the return pump) which houses filter floss and carbon

I also have a korellia 1 for additional\alternating flow

Lighting:

I run 1x250w 15k MH DE 10hrs, 2x65w Actinic's 14hrs and 8 LED's for moonlight.

I use Tropic Marin Pro Reef and I do not dose.....at all.

Current tank has been running for about 3 months.

Fish, Inverts and Cleaning crew

3 False Perc's, 1 split happy green bubble tip anemone, 1 Chromie, 1 Melanarus Wrasse, 1 Purple Tang, 1 sand sifting starfish, 1 Lionfish\sea hare\royal gramma eating serpant starfish, 1 skunk cleaner shrimp, 1 peppermint shrimp, 1 tiger tail sea cucumber, 1 horse shoe crab, 6 or so snails (I don't know what kind but they stick to the glass mostly) 2 flat snails, 4 Emerald crabs, and a few hermits

Corals:

80 different types of zoanthids, 4 Birdsnest (3 different kinds), 1 ORA purple cap, 1 ORA orange cap, 1 regular red monti, 1 pokerstar, a little GSP, 1 fuzzy mushroom, 8 or so superman mushrooms, 1 fungia (clap), 2 hammers, 1 frog spawn, the Duncan's, and 1 ricordia (but hoping to get more soon)

Wow...all that in a 30 gallon tank. Dude I think your tank needs upgraded to a 75 gallon. Im sure they all look nice in there but that is a small tank for all that livestock. None of my bussiness I know....just think about a bigger tank b4 long :D

Jay

Here are my specs:

TANK:

I have a 120 Gallon glass (48" x 24" x 24") with dual corner overflows

FILTRATION:

Aprx 10 Gallon show refugium with Oolite sand bottom, live rock and a variation of Macro

Aprx 20 Gallon Sump with live rock rubble in one chamber

Marineland skimmer

Phos Ban reactor with Phosban

FLOW:

Mag 18 return pump

2 Koralia 4's

1 Koralia 3

1 Koralia 2

LIGHTING:

Current 6x54 T5 (4 10k bulbs and 2 Actinic)

FISH:

2 Percs

Coral Beauty

Blue Tang

Lawnmower Blenny

Red Firefish

2 Tiger Gobies

INVERTS:

Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

Peppermint Shrimp

Sea Hare

Lettuce Nudi

3 Emerald Crabs

RBTA

Multiple hermits and snails

CORALS:

Several types of Monti

Blue Milli

Several types of Zoas

Couple types of Xenia

Star Polyps

Clove Polyps

Hammer

Frogspawn

3 types of Gorgonians

FEEDING:

Cyclops

Mysis

Phyto Feast

Display tank size/shape: 85 Gallon, 48" x 17" x 24", 60 lbs. estimated LR, plenum with 3" or so of sand on top. Est. 1700 GPH (Mag 18) flow on a closed loop (4 returns) plus 1100 GPH of flow via a SEIO M1100 Power Head.

Sump: 40 Gallon sump, This adds another 680 GPH or so of flow via an 1000 GPH submersible pump.

Refugium: Refugium combined with the sump. Macro Algae including Chaeto, Sea Lettuce, and Halimeda in the first chamber. Second chamber has a deep sand bed and locally built recirculating skimmer. Baffles beyond disperse air bubbles.

Estimated total gallons to system: 120 Gallons.

Lighting: 2 x 175w MH, 2 x 96w PC Actinics (460nm), 1 Overdriven Flourescent(Est. 73w) Actinic (420nm).

Time established: Approx. 3 1/2 Months (including the original 60 gallon tank which was swapped out a month or so ago).

Heres my setup:

36g glass bowfront tank

20g sump

PC RPS-1000 skimmer

(1) 250w Radium w/Icecap ballast

(4) 75w VHO Actinic w/2 Work Horse 7 ballasts

Vortech MP-20

PCI CL-280 Chiller

Neptun AquaController 3

DIY Carbon reactor

Dose 2-part daily- will be adding BRS Parastalic pumps soon.

Its mainly an SPS tank, buy I have I have had really good success with the zoas & palys I do have...

Heres the 3 polyps of Lunar Eclipse (I think) that I bought from the Seahorse less then a year ago:

3666091277_f5fff83fbb.jpg?v=0

Here they are today:

3666091507_bc318bd34c.jpg?v=0

There are a lot more polyps then you can see...they also grow all the way down the back of that rock.

Here's our office tank.

Display tank size/shape: Office tank is 20gal tall

Sump yes/no: Yes ~15 gal.

Refugium Yes/no: Yes it is combined with the sump ~6 gal.

Estimated total gallons to system: ~35 gal

Lighting ( PC, vho, Halides, t-5, a mix): 175w XM 20K

Time established: February 2009

Here's a link to the build thread. http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10445

Heres my setup:

36g glass bowfront tank

20g sump

PC RPS-1000 skimmer

(1) 250w Radium w/Icecap ballast

(4) 75w VHO Actinic w/2 Work Horse 7 ballasts

PCI CL-280 Chiller

Neptun AquaController 3

DIY Carbon reactor

Dose 2-part daily- will be adding BRS Parastalic pumps soon.

Its mainly an SPS tank, buy I have I have had really good success with the zoas & palys I do have...

Heres the 3 polyps of Lunar Eclipse (I think) that I bought from the Seahorse less then a year ago:

3666091277_f5fff83fbb.jpg?v=0

Here they are today:

3666091507_bc318bd34c.jpg?v=0

There are a lot more polyps then you can see...they also grow all the way down the back of that rock.

Ryan, those palys are insane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a 100 gallon simplicity plus acryilc aquarium, it has a 10 gallon internal overflow/sump run by a rio 1750, I have about 150 pounds of live rock. I have a hang on the back needle wheel protein skimmer (forgot who makes it) two seio powerheads one 1200 and one 1500. I feed cyclopeez, mysis, silversides and krill. I have a maristar light with 2/250w 10k metal halides and 2/blue geissmann actinics. Is there anything I am forgeting?

Clay

Display tank: 14gal Biocube

Sump: nope

Refugium: built-in with modified chambers including live rock, cheato, chemi-pure, and filter floss (changed every couple days)

Gear: maxi jet 900, koralia nano, hydor flo, remora nano skimmer w/maxi jet 1200, auto top off

Dosing: Purple Up and Bionic Compound, weekly 2gal water change

Feeding: cyclops, phytofeast, mysis.. been thinking about tossing rotifers in there

Livestock: two false perculas, rufus, yellow scroll, neon ora birdsnest, duncans, 9 ricordea, 5 watermelon shrooms, killer suncoral, chalice, devil's hand, neon gsp, many zoas

Estimated total gallons to system: 14gal

Lighting: 70w 14k Sunpod

Time established: Since 10/2008

Until you have seen a 240 gallon tank full of hair algae and coraline, you have not seen sad. (sad)

Jay

Ohhhh that is sad! We had a bit of the hair algae and even a little drove me crazy! Were you able to get rid of it?