MedRed's 34 Gallon Solana

MedRed

Major Update:

I've switched to the 14000K Phoenix bulb... and I have my first coral! kind of... lol I guess they are anemones.

Starting to look like a reef?

2i25ad.jpg

1535rnp.jpg

2rnu1au.jpg

2w7jpt3.jpg

2uo5tur.jpg

33vf4ph.jpg

29mpogp.jpg

2d168hs.jpg

2hs2490.jpg

What is this purple hair algae?

y2szn.jpg

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ricordea aren't anenomes are they? I thought they were related to mushrooms? Wow' date=' shows what I know! Where did you get your nass snails?[/quote']

you are probably right. I read somewhere that related ricordeas to anemones, but i've seen a lot of refrences to them as mushrooms. I plan on collecting as many striking color variants as possible.

I got my nassarius at Davey Jones Locker and picked up some big ones at Waves today. They had some rose bubbletip anemones that looked sooooooo awesome! I really want one badly... but don't think it's such a good idea.

The snail? It's a nassarius. I have about a dozen of them in my display and 4 or 5 in my Nano.

Do you have any bubble algae to remove? If not then I wouldn't get one. I had one that I got specifically for this but after a week or two I caught it eating corals so it was banished to the sump and then later my Nano tank. Last weekend my Electric Blue Hermit had it for dinner though. (When I came home from my weekend at the beach it had the carapace ripped open and it was munching away at it) Note I also had another male one with huge pincers that perched himself on a rock and was trying to catch the fish as they swam by. After he managed to take a small chunk out of my cinnamon clown I pulled him out and swapped him for a Horseshoe crab instead. (I actually got the second one because the first hadn't touched the Bubble Algae but when I got home with it the original one had already cleaned it up)

good info rick. I have some nassarius and this guy doesn't look like them. he doesn't have a shell. He has a hard spot on his back... but not it's not a traditional calciferous shell. I would like to add some sort of crab to the tank. Is there any crab that would behave itself?

good info rick. I have some nassarius and this guy doesn't look like them. he doesn't have a shell. He has a hard spot on his back... but not it's not a traditional calciferous shell. I would like to add some sort of crab to the tank. Is there any crab that would behave itself?

I think Steve nailed it. I saw the one pic that looked like a trunk sticking up but that looks like it is probably feelers instead.

I have a porcelain crab (I actually got it from nick along with the anemone) and they are pretty cool when they are hosting an anemone. It appears the anemone it was in didn't like something and went into a meltdown (Maybe chemical warfare) yesterday. (I'm hoping it recovers but I doubt it will) I saw the crab hanging out in the rocks shortly after (It was never away from the anemone b4) and haven't seen it since. (I believe it is hanging out underneath somewhere) I doubt they would need an anemone as they filter food from the water using fan like appendages. (Pretty cool to watch)

I would say yes the to emeralds. I have several in each of my tanks and have only ever caught 1 messing with a coral. It was a coral that was very unhealthy and the crab was probably just eating dead flesh is my guess. For your size tank I would have 2 or 3 emerals. Try and find a red one and a green one so that you have a couple of different colors. They are fun!

Garrett

wait it out for three months on the anemone just to be safe and stick with something small like a bubble tip or a long T. and steer away from carpets as the reach massive size in a short time! Ive always been more into the long T. because they dont move around after they put there foot in the sand which is good if your wanting all the space on the rock for coral.

Sally Lightfoot is another cool crab however it is my understanding they can be trouble when they get bigger. I have a small one I got from Garrett a month or so back that is pretty cool. At first it hid all of the time but lately it comes out more during the day. (I see it daily now)

Sally Lightfoot is another cool crab however it is my understanding they can be trouble when they get bigger. I have a small one I got from Garrett a month or so back that is pretty cool. At first it hid all of the time but lately it comes out more during the day. (I see it daily now)

Sallys are non stop cleaners and are awesome when they are small! I am glad yours is doing well Rick. The one in my display likes to jump on my hand when I have food in it lol.

Garrett

as much as I want a RBTA, I don't think I'll be adding one at all. I'm trying to stay away from anything that will have compatibility issues with another organism in my tank. That's why the peppermints will be passed along to someone soon.

I'm really beginning to like how the tank is looking.

Introducing... Ricordea Rock... I plan on adding 1 more ricordea. I'm saving the two lower shelves on the right of the rock for two nice yumas. I also added the first fish today! a green clown goby. I forgot to take a picture of him while he was acclimating. He's hiding out in the branch rock on the left. I can't get the camera to play nice to take a decent picture of him.

3013mlc.jpg

14np6d.jpg

30ken9l.jpg

21e20ee.jpg

2zgde0k.jpg

Sallys are non stop cleaners and are awesome when they are small! I am glad yours is doing well Rick. The one in my display likes to jump on my hand when I have food in it lol.

Garrett

It will be awhile before mine does that I think. It use to run like a scared cat if I came anywhere near the tank. My purple tang and both of the black ocellaris will come up to my hand to eat dried seaweed though and come to think of it I recall it coming close and showing interest last time. If it does start doing that then it will be good as it will make it easier to remove if/when it gets too big.

Thanks undertkr_00

Mistakes were made...

So I read about the clown goby on Live aquaria. It stated that they can nip SPS but normally it's not a concern. After reading more... I've seen a lot of people have had bad experiences with clown gobies and SPS. I have a ways to go before I add any SPS. But the clown goby will need to go. A major lesson to do full research before purchasing anything. I will be removing my 3 peppermints once I think they've done their duty, the one blue legged hermit that hitchhiked on my LR, and the clown goby.

I'm quickly learning I need to get a better camera!

Some insights into my plans for this tank:

1) No algae allowed on the glass or back wall

2) No corals on the sand (tubeworms, clams, and plate corals are the only possibilities)

3) Try to fill in the corals from the bottom rocks up

4) Mix and match a variety of shapes, textures, and colors.

5) Maintain the silhouette of the scape even as it is covered with coral.