MedRed's 34 Gallon Solana

MedRed

So after chasing aiptasia around the tank, I couldn't get my scape back to a way that I liked it. I decided to go for coral surface area this go around. Presenting: "The Atoll". It's a little cloudy as made quite a mess moving the rocks and sand around.

34h8121.jpg

I tried to offset it, but the rocks and the size of the tank weren't cooperating too much. I have pods all over the glass. I think i'm about ready for a clean up crew. hopefully the param check agrees.

You can see I have bryopsis on the glass. The FW world has an algae that's just as much of a PITA (cladophora). i'm going to check my paramaters and then begin dosing the kent mg and raise my mg levels to 1600 ppm. I've seen a few threads on the other forums that show success with this method.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks finch!

Tank parameters:

Calcium: 440 ppm

KH: 8/143.2 ppm

PH: 7.8 too low! what should I do? I don't have an alk test I noticed

Phosphate: 0

Nitrate: 5 ppm

Nitrite: 0

Ammonia: 0

Clean Up Crew Time!

My clean up crew has landed.

10 Nassarius

10 Florida Ceriths

1 Peppermint shrimp

I'm not quite sure what I bought on the snail numbers... I think i may have 15-16 ceriths

I'll let these guys marinate for now before i figure out what else I'd like to add. I just noticed my blue leg is wearing the same shell as a Cerith... Aacck! :scarry: He may have to go sooner rather than later. Raised my mg up to 1600ppm. *points at bryopsis* Avada Kedavra! :wizard:

latest full tank shot:

mccgwh.jpg

My stupid peppermint shrimp is constantly in hiding. All I ever see are his antennae waving around from inside some crevice. Will he become more comfortable overtime? with tank mates? It's quite easy to see the one rock on the left introduced the bryopsis to my tank. almost all the other rocks are clear of it. It is only infesting that rock and the walls. Bryopsis:Clado as SW:FW.

You will probably seldom see the peppermint shrimp. If you look in at night your chances are better and once in awhile it may come out when feeding but otherwise it will try to stay hidden during the day (the good news is they tend to pick a spot where they hide most of the time). When I first got mine I would see it more often but I didn't have enough rock for it to hide too well, now I only see it once every week or two. I have a pair of red fire shrimp that come out more often. They hang out close to the front under the rock ledges on one side and often come right out on the sand when feeding. I occasionally see them cleaning fish as well. They do stay hidden more than most of the creatures though.

Nice looking tank Med' date=' my peppermint is now residing in my filter. Started eating my hammer lil bastard.[/quote']

There are a couple of different species commonly called peppermint shrimp. A search will turn up the differences (something to do with the nostrum length) although even with that it is hard to tell them apart. I wonder if you have the "other" species. It is more likely to eat feather dusters instead of aptasia while the opposite is true of the first. Maybe it eats hammers/fragspawn as well. I've had both but took the second ones back right away when they started eating my feather dusters.

Do you have any green emerald crabs? They get rid of bubble algae but then they may start in on the corals. Mine was temporarily banished to the sump when I caught her eating the GSP. I put her into the Nano tank once I had it set up but my Electric Blue Hermit (Which is getting huge) had it for dinner over this last weekend. (When I got back from the beach Sunday he had the carapace torn open and was munching away at it)

Yes I have emerald's too but have never had an issue with them. The bubble algae is gone, I saw the shrimp sitting on the hammer stalk eating away at the tenticals. He is lucky to be alive at this point. I was going to just pitch him into the grass as I normally do.

Yes I have emerald's too but have never had an issue with them. The bubble algae is gone' date=' I saw the shrimp sitting on the hammer stalk eating away at the tenticals. He is lucky to be alive at this point. I was going to just pitch him into the grass as I normally do.[/quote']

Drastic measures. (I tossed a chromis in with my trigger when I caught him picking on my purple tang but I didn't intend for the trigger to kill it.) Did I tell you how I got my Horseshoe crab? It was because of a male emerald crab that had some massive pincers. He got up on the rocks and was literally trying to catch the fish as they swam by. After he got a small piece of a cinnamon clown I traded him in on the Horseshoe.

Okay back to Medred, Do you know what are you going to get next?