Green hair algae

gradth

What are the best ways to beat Green hair algae?

What inverts, fish, yada yada.

I have been battling it for a while now and its starting to get fustrating. I picked up a lawn mower blenny a few weeks ago, now I have read from numerous folks that most LMB's wont even eat hair algae.DOH! Hes a great addition though.

People have said "take your rock out and scrub it". Since there is about 180lbs of rock and most of which is glued or rodded together, that is not an option. I have been using a tooth brush to scrub what I can, but that doesnt do the best job.

Crabs, snails, what are teh best for that. Im guessing Im lacking in that area. Probably about 15-20 different hermies. And maybe 20-30 different astreas and turbos. Had a bunch die off a couple months ago.

My tank runs hot right now, about 80-81 most of the time. Got some fans just trying to figure out how to get them set up.

Any ideas would be good.

Sally lightfoot crab, or emerald crabs?

Though if you are unlucky, they can go for smaller fish later, when they get larger.

Or what worked really well for me was a long spine urchin!

I had to take him back to the store when tha algae ran out and he started munching on corals.

Sally lightfoot crab, or emerald crabs?

Though if you are unlucky, they can go for smaller fish later, when they get larger.

Or what worked really well for me was a long spine urchin!

I had to take him back to the store when tha algae ran out and he started munching on corals.

Are spine urchins any risk to fish?

I used a combination of a yellow tang, long-spine urchin, and dosing with sugar (works only if you use a skimmer).

If you want a FREE urchin, just come by. It was given to me by Steve (smann), and he has done his job well. Since he was a gift to me, I will pass him along. I had to put him in the sump because that was the only place that there was any algae left.

If you want it, just bring a bucket to take him home (will pop a plastic bag).

I could also hook you up with a yellow tang. It is too big for the tank he is in, and I want a smaller one. It eats hair algae like a pig. Now I have to give him nori to keep him fed.

Send me a PM and I'll give you my number if you want to come get them.

If you want to talk to me about the sugar dosing, I will pass on all my wisdom on that too. RC has a couple of good threads about sugar/vodka dosing. It is a band-aid to lower nutrients, but it does help for a short-term fix. I am not sure about the long term.

dsoz

If it's long -1-2" in tufts around different areas in the tank it is uasually a water quality/flow issue. Since this is a nuisance algae most critters wont feed on it since its not their natural food. I have a few once in a while on powerheads cords etc and nothing touches it

Dennis, i will give you a call in a bit. Kids are being a pain right now.

Im guessing it must be water quality or temp/ I dont think flow is a problem, 2 k'4's 2 korilia 3's and a 2 in there I think. Not to mention the overflows.

Im mixing up a batch of water right now for a water change.

Dennis, i will give you a call in a bit. Kids are being a pain right now.

No problem. I understand the kid thing. I got two teenagers. :)

I will be home all day without a car. One is in the shop, the other one is with the wife.

dsoz

How old are your light bulbs? What's your NO3 and PO4? RO-DI water? TDS value?

DrMerle

Light bulbs are less then 3 months. Ro-DI comes from fantaseas, and I have not tested it.

P04 I have not tested, but obviously if I have algae I have elavated levels. Nitrates I will have to go check. Have not checked in a while.

Dennis, thanks for Spike. Once in the tank he began munching. neat to watch.

Good to hear. It must have been hungry if it started eating in the daytime. Usually they are night feeders. Be sure to send Steve (Smann) a note to thank him. :)

The funny thing is that Steve was over about 45 min after you left.

Be sure to check out the sugar dosing. Once I started that, it wiped out the HA problem that I had in my anemone tank.

It was good to meet you. Let me know when your algae problem is gone.

dsoz

Sounds good. BTW, Dennis if figured out my refractometer. I had it off by a bit. Using poor lighting. Pretty sure I got it dialed in now.

Nitrates less then 5ppm.

Just got done cleaning all my korilias, waters almost ready. Water cahnge time.