New hobbyist?

Michael7979

Then this is the place for you to ask your questions.

If it is about fish only tanks or all out full blown reef tanks. Don't be shy we are more then willing to tell you what we have found from our trials and errors.

So join in and be part of one of the greatest hobbies there is. And ask away.

Go ahead and start your own thread. We will be happy to help you!!!!!

• 3 months later...

I am new. Just set up our first 55 gal salt water aquarium. I had a small 15 gal that had only small anemones and a couple of yellowtail damsels in it for about a year. It did okay.

This is all brand new to me.

I just learned about 'balance' pH, nitrite, nitrate, ammonia, DO, salinity last term. Looking forward to next term and new info, sometimes it is a bit overwhelming.

I did have some worms that came out at dusk and dissappeared before dawn for a while in my 15 gal but I haven't seen them in a while. Anyone know what they might be? a guy I spoke to that was visiting the same pet store called them spaghetti (sp.) worms. I don't know much more than that; oh yeah he said they were good and eat the garbage in the substrate and on the substrate.

(welcome)(To)(P)(N)(W)(M)(A)(S)

the worms could be spaghetti worms. what do they look like? if they are kinda red with a bunch of hairs, thens its most likely a bristle worm. If there is just a bunch of wormy strings coming out, then its a spaghetti or hair worm.

any questions at all, dont hesitate to ask us! :D

I am new. Just set up our first 55 gal salt water aquarium. I had a small 15 gal that had only small anemones and a couple of yellowtail damsels in it for about a year. It did okay.

This is all brand new to me.

I just learned about 'balance' pH, nitrite, nitrate, ammonia, DO, salinity last term. Looking forward to next term and new info, sometimes it is a bit overwhelming.

I did have some worms that came out at dusk and dissappeared before dawn for a while in my 15 gal but I haven't seen them in a while. Anyone know what they might be? a guy I spoke to that was visiting the same pet store called them spaghetti (sp.) worms. I don't know much more than that; oh yeah he said they were good and eat the garbage in the substrate and on the substrate.

Welcome! What classes are you taking?

2 questions

1st what are spaghetti worms and where do they come from and what is their nature?

(KUDOS to all who replied, it really helped - liked the flashlight idea, someone once suggest night vision goggles)

2nd, my husband just got 2 anemones ( don't know what they are, but I do have pictures)

one got stuck in the filter almost right away. :eek: He gently took it out and 2 days later (help) it is a 'mini me' size of what it was and is dark bluish/purple and just laying there on the substrate but looks like it is alive--some tentacles are reaching up a little and moving around. This was last night, this morning it's regular size and looks like it did when we purchased it- only better, (laugh)cuz its in our tank .... my question is, What was going on with it?

I am taking the Aquarium Science course, last term was intro, this term is Fish Behavior, 2 special projects--1 is on DOH! feeding sea urchins which I know nothing about!(help) ....... andthe 2nd is a thesis paper on why there are no sea otters on the Oregon Coast --lots of research and writing-oh, joy.

• 2 weeks later...

if i rember right spaghetti worms are in the annelid worm family they come on and in your live rock there great detravours(help to brake down detritus) and is a good sighn of a healthy system if doing well in my book,now as far as your anenome if you didnt know there one of the more diffcult animals to keep because placement and tank conditions are key(lighting,water movement,substrate for pedal placement) but sounds like its adapting to your system.Anemones are like water ballons, water makes up most of there mass so they will fill and deflate perodicly and also to get rid of waste because there mouth is also there anus so im sure there stress of getting sucked up didnt help. But beings its reinflated is a good sighn.Also sticky tencles is a sighn of a healthy anenome if it dosnt sting you it means it has no energy too which isnt good sighn of stress or worse, feed at least once a week if not more. Hope this helps

• 8 months later...

How to post pictures.

You can upload your pictures to tinypic.com they will create a list of links that you can cut and copy into your post. If you prepare the picture by saving it for the web and making sure that the file size is not to large your picture should appear just fine.

• 3 months later...

Newbie looking for help

I am new to saltwater and am looking to set-up my first tank a 90 GAL. (rock2) Looking for a info on sumps, heater, pump, Just purchased two quad aquarium lights 48" 260WT POWER COMPACT LED, with dual blue moon lights.

Looking for sump/refug info that will support this 90 GAL without any trouble. What size heater and pump should I look for? I also am looking for a lead on live sand and live rock that I can cycle for 60 to 90 day with a large clean-up crew.

Please help, my e-mail address is kevchrismccarthy@msn.com, please feel free to contact me with leads to good equipment or information that will get this tank up and running. I am not in a huge hurry to add live stock for atleast my stated cycle time above.

Thanks

Kevin

• Like 1

I am new to saltwater and am looking to set-up my first tank a 90 GAL. (rock2) Looking for a info on sumps, heater, pump, Just purchased two quad aquarium lights 48" 260WT POWER COMPACT LED, with dual blue moon lights.

Looking for sump/refug info that will support this 90 GAL without any trouble. What size heater and pump should I look for? I also am looking for a lead on live sand and live rock that I can cycle for 60 to 90 day with a large clean-up crew.

Please help, my e-mail address is kevchrismccarthy@msn.com, please feel free to contact me with leads to good equipment or information that will get this tank up and running. I am not in a huge hurry to add live stock for atleast my stated cycle time above.

Thanks

Kevin

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-01/gt/index.php

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

I am new to the marine life came from dealing with ponds and koi ran a pond business now thinking about getting into the marine life full blown and maybe a business in this as well. I am find this all very interesting and fun. So just introducing my self.

Nick

I do have a 29 gallong bio-cube that has been running for about three years was given to me for free by a friend. Going to look at some rock today to put on top of the base rock that is in there. Any suggestions?

Nick

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

New to Salt

Hello, I am new to this hobby.

I have a 35 gal Hex shaped Reef tank and have built a 6 gal refugium. I am learning.

I have one Clown, three Damsels, a Cleaner shrimp, two Peppermint shrimp, some snails, hermit crabs, and an Arrow crab. The Arrow has molted several times and can almost reach across the entire tank.

Currently I have a 35W PC, I am building a LED light source with Three white LEDs and 3 Actinic Blue LEDs to add to it. The tank has been running since early October.