Sign in to follow this  
tidalsculpin

School Macro shots

That's good for point and shoot. I shoot my micro with Nikon d90 and a 100mm 2.8f macro lense on a tripod with a remote trigger. I have some macro shots under member tanks "daniks 125g reef".

Some of them are shot at the angle and have some distortion.

Thanks for the lesson in February, Andy. I have finally had some time to take some shots and edit them. I think I need to try again on a few there. I did not turn off powerheads for one and I need a tripod. Also, I can't seem to do macros on some frags deeper in the tank. I either need to move them on the sandbed for shots or get a better camera I guess.

The back-of-the-tank problem is just physics unfortunately -- to get true macro shots (1:1 or better) you have to have the subject close to the front element of the lens. A macro lens is just a lens that's designed to allow the subject to be placed closer to the lens while remaining in focus. Extension tubes do the same thing for conventional lenses.

Nice to know. Thank you Andy. I know now I had the wrong impression on what Macro does. I mean I knew it was good for close up shots but now I know why.

Picasa is good for light balance and cropping. It is really easy to use unlike iphoto which I have sworn at for years. I never got training in photoshop so I kinda got intimidated by it. Picasa truly is fun to use.

The Picasa team is really doing good things. It's a great program at a great price.