What do you have in your sump?

Rick

Yeah I understand that. That is why I am using the canister. I can't afford a Phosphate reactor but I can afford phosban so I can take pump out fueling UV and use canister as both semi reactor and pump for UV plus I can put carbon and LRR in there for additional filtration.

I want to do that. I would like to put the HOB skimmer in the sump and just extend the plumming down far enough. My tank is an old fresh water tank that is tempered so I have to run a HOB overflow box. I will probably just get an old 20g and add a baffle or two with glass from HD. The pump cost is the only thing stopping me. I need to find a pond pump that is cheap and doesn't run hot

Steve, next time you toss out some cheato can you let me know. I have a little bit (handful) which I expect to propogate over time but I don't think there is enough to really be effective yet.

Do any of you use oyster shells for substrate or live sand?

Will do, I uasually do it eveyr two weeks. I did a mix of live sand whenI set up

Live Sand' date=' Live Rocks, Cheatos.... I want to have a mantis shrimp in there.... I saw it in someone else on the net.. look really nice.[/quote']

I have a mantis shrimp in my sump. If you want it bring me a frag or something your choice and its yours. Its about 3 inches long. It would be nice to get something for it even if its a pest. I had to buy a stupid trap to catch the sucker. Hell I dont even need a frag if you want...but would be nice (naughty)

Jay

I am new to the aquarium world... I have a sump question... I bought this tank established, it has a sump with 3 compartments. Left side has my heater and pump return, middle is just my filter pad and the right side has my protein skimmer. If I was to add live rock, sand and ?? Would I add it to the middle section under my filter pad? And if I did do this it would then become a refugium?

Thanks for all the advice I have been reading on the other threads, I know I have been lurking... but learning a lot!

Thanks,

Beth

My sump is a 20gal long glass aquarium split into two sections.

The first section is the drain/return section. Water drains to it through a filter sock. There's an Eheim 1262 return pump (dialed *way* back), a Minijet 404 feeding my GAC/GFO reactor, and another minijet feeding my skimmer.

The second section is a generic refugium. No substrate (not enough room for a functional DSB, so why have the cleaning nightmare?) but live rock rubble. Kalk/ATO feeds into this section (the pH probe from my controller is in the baffles between the two sections), and the skimmer output dumps in here too. There's a CF spotlight on this side to support what macroalgae I have growing, and to keep the coralline on the LR going.

Oh, and IMO most currently fashionable sumps (mine included) have one huge design flaw -- they're too big and unwieldy. Once they're installed under a tank, they aren't going anywhere without a full system tear-down. If it leaks, you're screwed. If it needs to come out for cleaning, you're screwed. If you want to change the layout, you're screwed.

My next sump will be modular... smaller sections connected by unions. That way, I'll be able to change/update/reconfigure at will. Pulling a section out for cleaning will be cake. Making a section larger will be easy, etc. etc.

I am new to the aquarium world... I have a sump question... I bought this tank established, it has a sump with 3 compartments. Left side has my heater and pump return, middle is just my filter pad and the right side has my protein skimmer. If I was to add live rock, sand and ?? Would I add it to the middle section under my filter pad? And if I did do this it would then become a refugium?

Thanks for all the advice I have been reading on the other threads, I know I have been lurking... but learning a lot!

Thanks,

Beth

The addition of Live Rock and Live Sand would aid in the biological (natural) filter. The filter pad over it may defeat the purpose though. (Others with more experience can chime in here) It's my understanding that most filters should be avoiding as they tend to turn into nitrate factories so you may want to remove the pad and replace it with the live rock/sand. To make it a refugium you would add plants (macro algea) to this. Cheato seems to be the most popular since it doesn't pollute the tank and grows relatively fast. Others under certain conditions can pollute it. Keep in mind that for the cheato (or other) to grow it will need some light. For mine I just have a clip light from Lowes with one of the compact flourescent spiral bulbs that are rated at 6500k temperature. I picked up the clip on for about $6 and a box of 4 bulbs for about $11. I plan to add a second clip on light below next time I get by Lowes. As can be seen above not everyone has the refugium in the sump. Some do not run a refugium and some have a separate refugium tank. Hope That Helps. Keep in mind I'm relatively new to this as well though so check through the posts above to see what others are using first.

Welcome to PNWMAS Beth! In my opinion chaeto only with a light over it is the cleanest option for you. Sumps collect detritus which leads to nitrates. If you clean your sump occasionally this can reduce nitrate build up potential. Chaetoporpha only is easy to trim, a non invasive species, a good nitrate removal system. Deep sand beds can be beneficial too but they need to be left alone which is a bit problematic for us reefers who always fiddle with stuff. Many like to use remote sand beds that are not disturbed and can be taken offline easily. This adds complexity. Keep it smple and just throw some chaeto and a light over it. Then, remember to occasionally clean your sump, like once a year or every 6 months.

Since I like the BB look, but also see the benafit of the sand, I ran a 15 gall refegium with 4 inches of sand and quite allot of live rock, I like allot of LR in my sump because I like a more open and flowing tank without allot of rock stuffed into the display, and a little bit of cheto, If you have a good skimmer, enouph live rock, dont over stock or feed, and a good ro/di you shouldnt need much of the cheto imoa.

100 gallon Rubbermaid Sump - No lighting

PM XL2 Skimmer

Finnex 800 watt heater

~100 lbs of Live Rock

Magnum 350 with Carbon

ATO

plumbed in PCI C-500 1/2 HP Chiller

Had a large Calcium Reactor in there too, but it is on standby right now. I haven't gotten back into SPS yet and my Calcium has been holding well with water changes so far.

I have a separate 55 gallon Fuge with a 5 inch DSB and a variety of Macro Algaes. There is enough Macro to fill a 30 gallon tank.

Jay