Time again

CCR

I see a lot of activity from the start of my other thread. I felt it is getting big, and the main essence of it was getting lost, so I am starting this one.

I’m glad to see there is some action. I may be a little off here (oh no! not you Blaine) My thought’s were to add to THIS site. It was my whole intension and hopefully, point in the first place

Suddenly, we are becoming parts of other sites. Now I see a lot of happy faces with that idea. I comment the parties involved and there time taken.

Oh I understand how cool to be at another site, with a link were ya came from to our site. Heck I'll do it!! BUT WHY?? I for one will wait

PLEASE ALL To my understanding, we don’t even have our own rules, records, goals, things that this club needs to do done yet. And that is not to be taken critically or personally by anyone. It’s just were we are at.

OK moving on.

Now, in part, that is good, and bad. Before we go international, IE “RC” My original feelings are, and still are right here.” PNWMAS” ”home”

There are a lot of GREAT ideas that have come up from all this. And they started here, where it matters.

Is it a quick and easy fix, to be UNDER the big boys, to be told, what we can and cannot say. Maybe that’s what the majority want. Then we don’t have to do a thing.

My question to all the good people here is. Then, what do we have to offer?????

Is it a pride thing? Is it all it’s going to be. To show club colors?

When I go to TRT, and yes, we all go to different sites. Someone asks a question, and another will give a link, of information see example>> http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php

That has great information. Are we going to be compliant and just leave it at that???

We’ll just send them to another site when they come to us, and be happy with that as what we have to offer???

In all honesty. I feel were jumping for a bandage fix. I want this club to stay in control of its self.

If the plan is to be another CLUB, posting through RC.

Please count me out.

I will tell you hear and now. That a lot of threads we have done HERE, opinion, political links, God. JUST to read would have you banned from there. I AM ASKING THAT THERE BE SOME CONSIDERATION BEFORE THAT ADVENTURE IS TAKEN.

I can’t remember who has this at the bottom of there posts

“WHO WOULD JESUS BOMB”

They will ban you.

. Don’t give the freedom of this site to another’s control.

Please, take for a moment, and look at what my issues were. In the beginning of the other post.

As reefers, we tell the newbie, to research, and have patience, before they jump to fast, go running out the door, only hearing half of what they should, come back and ask the same question again after a crash!!! Do we tell them “told ya so” Never!!!! Were right there to try and make it better.

If we can’t get our own playground in order, that needs a little water, love, fertilizer, and God knows we have a little too much of that, do we just move neighborhoods???? jump ship?????

Let’s not let this site crash

Let’s get those ideas going from here, for here, before venturing off.

I am all for helping, not just shooting my mouth off.

As far as posting as a “club” through RC, with there rules and agreements, (AND by the way I’m sure the board will have to agree fully with their policies) I will not. Don’t give the freedom of this site to another’s control.

Thank You.,

Blaine

you are right about the part of keeping the club in its own control and definately right that we shouldbe answering questions directly or at least sending them a link to a post on our own forum before sending them to another site. Its good business practice so to speak. But i would like to see maybe a noob section where some of our more knowledgable members who have been there and done that can post some sticky'd info about how to get started in reefing and maybe list the basic equipment needed such as skimmers lights and the sort.

I would like to see maybe a few comparison posts in the equipment section about which skimmers are most effective and prices for comparison. I am a reef noob so to speak so take these ideas as just that....a noob looking for more helpful information.

We cant wait for the people who run the show here to do everything for us....so we need to start these threads ourselves. Maybe a thread where people can post thier experiences with different products or companies. I know we try to support our LFS as much as possible when buying goods but I also know that there isnt a reef WALMART with aisles of every brand and product. so if we shop online maybe a thread describing experiences with online retailers both good and bad?

I know most of these things seem like old news to some of our long time reefers but like any other hobby its the noobs like me and others that are the future of the hobby and we need to cater to them as well to ensure the growth of our favorite pastime! just my .02

I agree with most everything you have to say except the referencing other sites thing. We are opnly a few people with a few experiences in comparison with the big world out there. I personally HATE RC and the attitudes there. Just the same, i am there every day. Why??? It isnt to socialize, its because here or even TRT cant touch the wealth of information and experience that site has. I am just using RC as an example, there are many more. If we want to build a close knit team of people with a quest to continue to learn every day and have fun doing it, i see no value to limiting linking to good information in other places. There are a lot of knowledgable people here as well to learn from, dont get me wrong, but again, the key to continuing to learn anything in life is to listen to as many viewpoints and experiences and facts that you can and pick out what makes sense to you. We can then share what we have learned here with the people who we are closer to. To be honest, the only person on this site that i have met face to face is snowboard kid, krux and twitter. I would like to meet more and be more active with this group and hopefully that will happen with time and as this site gets bigger. I am looking forward to it.

I would have met you the other night but your priorities with keeping your wife and her timelines happy got in the way of what is REALLY important........(laugh)

New to the Hobby forum was created tonight. We are definitely open to ideas. I would love to post some articles made by our own members on the site. All anyone has to do is e-mail them to me. We can have an Articles section or a FAQ section that members can use for reference. My e-mail address is at the bottom of all my posts. I think that most people do not think that they are qualified to write an article. If you have something that is working for you then maybe you should write it down. Equipment reviews are another item that would be easy to implement. I just need some reviews. We will look and see if there is a hack for a nice review section in the forums. I like your ideas Blaine. We are just kind of in our infancy and this was handed to Stacy and I a few months ago. We were more worried about the club activities than we were with the website. Decisions had to be made and plans had to have some follow thru. Other than some internal issues, we are starting to loosen up a bit now. I like the ideas, keep them coming. If anyone has something they would like to see on this website or the homepages, just get ahold of myself or Stacy "spayne" and we will do our best to make it happen if it is in the best interest of the site and the club.

Thanks again,

Jay

you are right about the part of keeping the club in its own control and definately right that we shouldbe answering questions directly or at least sending them a link to a post on our own forum before sending them to another site. Its good business practice so to speak. But i would like to see maybe a noob section where some of our more knowledgable members who have been there and done that can post some sticky'd info about how to get started in reefing and maybe list the basic equipment needed such as skimmers lights and the sort.

I would like to see maybe a few comparison posts in the equipment section about which skimmers are most effective and prices for comparison. I am a reef noob so to speak so take these ideas as just that....a noob looking for more helpful information.

We cant wait for the people who run the show here to do everything for us....so we need to start these threads ourselves. Maybe a thread where people can post thier experiences with different products or companies. I know we try to support our LFS as much as possible when buying goods but I also know that there isnt a reef WALMART with aisles of every brand and product. so if we shop online maybe a thread describing experiences with online retailers both good and bad?

I know most of these things seem like old news to some of our long time reefers but like any other hobby its the noobs like me and others that are the future of the hobby and we need to cater to them as well to ensure the growth of our favorite pastime! just my .02

I am in a million percent agreement!!!! I am so happy that you understand. I am going to start some info in word to start. Post it when done and let who ever would like to add to it, and why. I'm hoping it will be the start, middle , end. I don't care were, of the club library. Again, thank you for not being angry at me. It took me a looooong time to post. I know this is a good club. With a lot of help from each other. We can make it a great one!!!! That's all. I'll get started. I'm counting on a lot of help. I hope the enthuiasm continues.

Thank You

Blaine

I will add any of my limited knowledge that is relevant happily. I think the people here have a lot to offer reefers everywhere with some of the ingenious DIY's i see such as Flyguys rock lifts. those things are commercial quality from the pics i have seen! another thing i think may be helpful as far as reviews go is maybe a book review. im sure many people have bought books and then thought "this is crap". same goes for equipment. maybe a nano tank thread would be great! It seems that the busiest forum on RC is the nano forum as that is how most people getting into the hobby at first are goingwith all in one nanos and small (20 gal and less) tanks.

let's do it. I'm already typing up what I know about MH, CF and VHO. It will take me a couple of days certinally not because im an expert, for some time restrains, and I want to be accurate as I can.

AND TO FLY. We will meet!!!!! Give about 4 weeks to get a bunch of work done and I'll make a day trip over there!!!!! I agree on his lift! I want to see it for myself. (and take a plan to him, but don't tell him that) :);)

Coralreef has started a nano. I'll try and get there imput and experiance, and anyone elses as to the whats and why

NOW THIS IS COOL(rock2)

We are also going to be adding some DVD presentations to the Library as soon as we can. Miles is working on the Randy Reed presentation right now. I am hoping that Borneman will allow us to record his presention for the club also. We had Tyree's presentation at one time, but I am not sure if it is in the Library or not. I will check into it.

Jay

Like Jay said the club is in it's infancy..........and with that it will take some time and A LOT of effort from all our members to help it grow. How many times have we seen this post somewhere "I've been on the boards for awhile and this is my first post......"? These are people just like us that might be afraid to ask a question due to embarrasment or afraid to feel foolish.

Thats why I like the idea of members writing articles/threads about how they did this/that or how they like this/that.

The club will develop a short term and long term goals but this to will take alittle time to put into motion and work out, but we needed to start somewhere and the BOD tried to make the last change as seemless as possible. I hope you understand.

All of these things will help the community grow with the OR./WA. area and just maybe outside of that. The more info./experieces we can put on the boards the better.

Glad to see things are moving on........

Like Jay said the club is in it's infancy..........and with that it will take some time and A LOT of effort from all our members to help it grow. How many times have we seen this post somewhere "I've been on the boards for awhile and this is my first post......"? These are people just like us that might be afraid to ask a question due to embarrasment or afraid to feel foolish.

Thats why I like the idea of members writing articles/threads about how they did this/that or how they like this/that.

The club will develop a short term and long term goals but this to will take alittle time to put into motion and work out, but we needed to start somewhere and the BOD tried to make the last change as seemless as possible. I hope you understand.

All of these things will help the community grow with the OR./WA. area and just maybe outside of that. The more info./experieces we can put on the boards the better.

Glad to see things are moving on........

ME TO. Blaine good when glad I was very shy once, and reserved. can you tell!

thats why i started posting on forums anyhow.....so i could ask nub questions! I would feel like an idiot back when i first got interested in reefing and had gone to a LFS and asked "whats live rock?" so forums are great for that! I will give as much help to the nano section as ican....i lurked on several other forums in the nano section absorbing info cuz that was the route i was originally planning to go!

thats why i started posting on forums anyhow.....so i could ask nub questions! I would feel like an idiot back when i first got interested in reefing and had gone to a LFS and asked "whats live rock?" so forums are great for that! I will give as much help to the nano section as ican....i lurked on several other forums in the nano section absorbing info cuz that was the route i was originally planning to go!

That Rocks Crabby(rock2)