protien skimmer help

tom_c55

my water was reading zeros across the board yesterday' date=' i have an undergravel filter and just like a regular hang on filter aswell[/quote']

How long ago did you set up your tank? I am asking if it is a new setup, or if it has completed it's nitrogen cycle.

I'm sure you will get a few comments about the U/G filter.(whistle)

Undergravel Filters are very efficient in breaking down organic waste by aerobic bacteria into ammonia(NH3/NH4), nitrite(NO2), and finally nitrate(NO3). But that is all. U/G filters also require a fair amount of maintenance with a gravel vac, otherwise they accumulate a great deal of detritus(biologically broken down dead waste). You do not want this in your marine aquarium! Denitrification (Conversion of NO3 to free nitrogen gas) is accomplished by anaerobic bacteria colonized within the low oxygen core of liverock or Deep Sand Bed (DSB).

Here is a nice article explaining biological filtration http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-06/dw/index.php

I got this cheap skimmmer off ebay it just sticks to the side and has an airstone but all it does is fill up with water. any ideas on what i did wrong

I took a look at cheap skimmers at Ebay and found this. http://cgi.ebay.com/Aquarium-Fish-Tank-Protein-Skimmer-Separator-50Ga-AQ24_W0QQitemZ130309259997QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1e570982dd&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A1|39%3A1|72%3A1205|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A2|294%3A25

Any chance is this what you have? It is a co-current skimmer, the least efficient of all foam fractionators (skimmers) made. Turn the air to the airstone down so there is just a bit of foam rising up the tube without overflowing into the collection cup. It may take a bit of adjusting. The "dry" thick foam will concentrate and slowly accumulate in the cup as a darker effluent. Counter-current, venturi, and needlewheel skimmer are way more efficient. I didn't even realize co-currents were still made and sold. I haven't seen one for nearly 20 years!

I actually had one similar to what it sounds like your talking about. My was made by redsea (I think it was called a Berlin airlift 60) and it worked very well for what it was. You do need to try and keep the water level fairly consistant and if it is just filling up with water than you need to move the location of the skimmer up higher, so not as much of the skimmer is in the water. Just adjust it until you find the spot where only the foam is entering the collection cup then mark the waterline with a sharpy so you can put it back there every time. Also remember as the airstone ages or if you put in a new one it will change the level so I would mark it after installing a brand new airstone.

See if uou can find a cheap AquaC Remora skimmer. I ran for years on those. Just keep the cup empty or you will have foamy brown mulm on your floor. If I had one I would do you a good deal on one. I bet someone on the forum has a old backpack they dont use that would help a new reefer.

Jay

Here is what I recomend that you try if you have the moneys. Ditch the undergravel filter and just run carbon in the hob filter with no filterpad. Install a sandbed ( at least 3 inches deep and get it from a lfs not home depo...their sand wont work) and seed it with as much livesand as you can beg from your lfs. Try Seahorse on Columbia. Woody is good about helping new reefers and will hook you up with a big bag full. Also get some big chunks of liverock that have been cured already. If you do these things alone it will go a long way to making your tank a success. If you are still intrested in the saltwater hobby after spending this amount of cash and doing these things then message me here and I will hook you up with a 20 long glass aquarium already made into a sump with baffles. I made this myself and it works great. I also have overflow boxes and I think I have a return pump I can help you with. I will make you a good deal on this sump setup for 50 dollars and show you how it all works with my aquarium already working. I have cheato algae and a light also I think so your refugium will be complete...if I can find the return pump..: ). But you will have to do the other stuff first. Let me know when you get it done. I also have some books I will gift you that will help.

Now tell us about your tank. How big is it? Do you have powerheads to move the water and make current? Any Liverock yet?

Jay

my tank is a glass 20 gal that was used at a lfs that is no longer open so it came with the ug filter and a 600 powerhead the hob is from a eclipse tank that it obviously didnt go to i use mainly for mor water movement. i have a current sattelite 1x65 sunpaq with the led moonlight, 10 pounds live rock i got from waves plus various others that came with frags

Berlin is a type of skimmer. Technically it has to do with a particular part in the skimmer but that isn't relevant here. Perhaps a picture of the skimmer or a link to the ebay deal if that is where you got it would help. That would make it easier for someone to identify the type here and then give advice on what to try to get it working. Personally I have zero experience with an undergravel filter but I believe the previous posts saying to ditch it are sound advice. 20 or 30 years ago would be different but nowadays a good biological filter (live rock and live sand) with a good skimmer seem to be what works the best. (As time goes by better methods evolve)

Here is what I recomend that you try if you have the moneys. Ditch the undergravel filter and just run carbon in the hob filter with no filterpad. Install a sandbed ( at least 3 inches deep and get it from a lfs not home depo...their sand wont work) and seed it with as much livesand as you can beg from your lfs. Try Seahorse on Columbia. Woody is good about helping new reefers and will hook you up with a big bag full. Also get some big chunks of liverock that have been cured already. If you do these things alone it will go a long way to making your tank a success. If you are still intrested in the saltwater hobby after spending this amount of cash and doing these things then message me here and I will hook you up with a 20 long glass aquarium already made into a sump with baffles. I made this myself and it works great. I also have overflow boxes and I think I have a return pump I can help you with. I will make you a good deal on this sump setup for 50 dollars and show you how it all works with my aquarium already working. I have cheato algae and a light also I think so your refugium will be complete...if I can find the return pump..: ). But you will have to do the other stuff first. Let me know when you get it done. I also have some books I will gift you that will help.

Now tell us about your tank. How big is it? Do you have powerheads to move the water and make current? Any Liverock yet?

Jay

Please let me know if you want the equipment from me as I have a pm from another new reefer that is intrested in the stuff. Not that I am in a hurry to sell it as the price is very cheap but to be fair I will let you have it first as I offered it to ya.

Just let me know please.

Jay