Medred: The Newest Newb

MedRed

Hello everyone,

What a great local forum this is! I attended the meeting this past weekend (the black guy). That was the perfect lecture for someone new to the hobby. I've been into FW since I was 7. I could write a book on freshwater tanks. I still dabble in rare, community nano fish, P. Taeniatus, Apistos, shrimp, and rare plants. I have 9 FW tanks. 5 of those use pressurized CO2 injection and 3 use Metal Halide lighting. I dipped a toe in SW 15 years ago (boy a lot has changed since then)... but this will be my first full fledged reef tank.

Thank you for the warm welcome on saturday. I hope to learn and contribute a lot in the future.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks JasonH,

I'm setting up a 34 Gallon Current USA Solana:

I have a Vortech MP20 w/ a Dry Dock

Typhoon III from airwaterice.com

150w Sunpod w/ 14,000k Phoenix (also have 250w and 150w Aquamedic pendants sitting around)

Upgrades:

Stock Skimmer ---> Sapphire Aquatics Solana/Cardiff NanoSkimmer

Stock ATO ---> Tunze Universal Osmolator 3155

I'm planning a Bluespot jawfish, A pair of naked clowns, and a tail spot blenny for the tank. I had a minor setback with UPS breaking the tank, so now I have all of my equipment and my stand, but no tank to put them in/on. lol

Ah - that sucks about the tank. Hopefully, you get a replacement soon. That Solana is a popular option - I think several of the people on here have them.

I really want a Bluespot jawfish. Would love to see a pic after you get it!

Welcome to the site!! Sounds like you are the new FW master! Have any pics of them?

Lots of ppl here that are more than willing to help, and great info too. What type of SW tank are you setting up?

Thanks impur, don't throw up anyone...

20 High Planted Tanganyikan

2calms.jpg

30 Cube Upgraded Planted Tanganyikan (right after upgrade so a little messy)

o86nns.jpg

5.5 Gallon ADA (thinking about turning this into a refugium)

2czo2c.jpg

30 Gallon Cube (this was an overhead shot before the tank was all grown in, its finished now but no new pics)

o0ecee.jpg

25 Gallon Jungle (this tank gave its life and spot against the wall for the new reef tank)

nmnqkp.jpg

40 Stretch Hex as a Jungle

iy1sfr.jpg

40 Stretch Hex after rescape (has been changed a little since then and is much more grown in)

t63xq1.jpg

Most of these tanks have had atleast 3 dramatic rescapes and livestock revamps over the years. I plan on keeping everything except a 20 High I broke down (no pics here) and the 25 gallon in the pics. I may take my 5.5 and turn it into a display macro algae refugium. I have a wacky idea to make a doppelganger tank right next to it in FW format.

20 High (ADA 60H, My latest tank... grew the foreground out for a month using damp soil. This is picture was taken 2 weeks ago right after flooding the tank. Will take awhile for everything to grow in. Will probably add livestock in a couple of weeks.)

9ft9q0.jpg

Welcome new "TOAD":)

Ha ha... thanks... I think

*edit... didn't realize how huge the pics were. Just incorporated smaller pics.

Welcome (again)! I was the guy with the frogspawn. When you do get your tank up and running, shoot me a PM. I told you I would give you a couple frags, and I intend on making good on it.

I hope you have better luck with UPS this time around.

Have you also seen www.nano-reef.com ? It is dedicated to those with tanks 40g and smaller. There are some amazing things that people do with small tanks.

Also check out the picture thread by TAD here. He also has the solana tank with a sunpod (not sure if it is 70w or 150w). He has a sweet setup and he has it packed full of stuff.

dsoz

Hi Michael!

It was Michael right. Sorry I didn't say hello to you at the meeting. I always semm to go to a meeting and starting talking to people I haven't seen in awhile and then time is over and everyone is gone. But I hope you enjoyed yourself.

Ah - that sucks about the tank. Hopefully, you get a replacement soon. That Solana is a popular option - I think several of the people on here have them.

I really want a Bluespot jawfish. Would love to see a pic after you get it!

Yes it does JasonH. I wasn't a very happy person that day. lol. I've always wanted a yellow headed jawfish since I was 10 or so. After seeing the bluespot, it was a must have. Since I don't plan on doing a DSB, I've already made him a little house that I can cover with 2 inches or so of sand.

2ponrex.jpg

The next step is to add a barnacle and do something like this

barnaclehouseuz3.jpg

I'll be getting a barnacle soon to complete his house.

Hi Michael!

It was Michael right. Sorry I didn't say hello to you at the meeting. I always semm to go to a meeting and starting talking to people I haven't seen in awhile and then time is over and everyone is gone. But I hope you enjoyed yourself.

No worries. I had a great time. Nice to know there's such a strong community. I'm sure I'll be seeing you around.

Welcome to the club!

Thanks andy!

Welcome (again)! I was the guy with the frogspawn. When you do get your tank up and running, shoot me a PM. I told you I would give you a couple frags, and I intend on making good on it.

I hope you have better luck with UPS this time around.

Have you also seen www.nano-reef.com ? It is dedicated to those with tanks 40g and smaller. There are some amazing things that people do with small tanks.

Also check out the picture thread by TAD here. He also has the solana tank with a sunpod (not sure if it is 70w or 150w). He has a sweet setup and he has it packed full of stuff.

dsoz

Thanks dsoz, I signed up on nano reef and Reef Central. Both have been a huge help so far. I'm normally the one giving advice... Now I'm asking for it. lol

It was great talking to you at the meeting...and just let me know when you are ready for a few frags and we can meet up.

Nice looking freshies - I used to keep planted tanks, but once the coral bug hits you WATCH OUT...!!

Thanks markadof2! I'm hoping I can contain the SW bug. I already want a tank with barnacle blennies and a goby/pistol shrimp duo. We'll see how this turns out. lol

Michael' date=' glad you found us. You should stop by and check out the jawfish!!! it is awesome!!![/quote']

Awesome! I'll stop by and check him out tomorrow. Since he'll be with you for awhile, you guys should give him a name!

Welcome...haven't made any meetings yet but hope to soon. Think about a cover for SW tank with blue spot jawfish...known to jump out of tanks...I got one 2 months ago...put it in the tank...didn't see it for days...7th day found it dead on the floor!!

Welcome again...DrMerle

Wow - I'm not a big fan of fresh water tanks, but I'm impressed the the aquascaping on yours - that's an art form in itself. I'll be interested to see what you do with your salt water tank.

That's a great idea on the PVC for the jawfish - see, you're not such a newb, you're contributing ideas already.

Coralreefer - yikes, that's an expensive carpet surfer.

Welcome.

If you can do a Tanganikan Planted tank with great plant growth you will be wildly successful in reefkeeping. Your 60H ADA is very nice. Also, that 5.5 is awesome. Leave it alone. Get a cheap aGa for a fuge. I love those amano tanks. It is truly an art and you are doing a great job on those. Best of luck in the reef hobby. You have obviously been doing your homework. I love that jawfish house setup. Pretty cute.

Hope you enjoy our club and do consider becoming a paid member since it quickly reaps savings in the LFS.

Glad I met ya! I was the crazy lady walking around handing out name tags! I like your tank pictures. Be sure to start a thread on your new project!!!

Me too! I officially became a paying member earlier this evening.

Welcome...haven't made any meetings yet but hope to soon. Think about a cover for SW tank with blue spot jawfish...known to jump out of tanks...I got one 2 months ago...put it in the tank...didn't see it for days...7th day found it dead on the floor!!

the Metal Halides was insane!

Welcome again...DrMerle

Thanks for the advice coralreefer, I plan on using a glass lid that comes with the tank. I tried going topless on all my tanks. The evaporation and humidity was insane from

Wow - I'm not a big fan of fresh water tanks, but I'm impressed the the aquascaping on yours - that's an art form in itself. I'll be interested to see what you do with your salt water tank.

That's a great idea on the PVC for the jawfish - see, you're not such a newb, you're contributing ideas already.

Coralreefer - yikes, that's an expensive carpet surfer.

Thanks JasonH, I noted on Nano Reef that aquascaping on FW tanks is a lot more indepth. FW is missing out on all the pretty colors though... lol.

I'm currently planning something lagoon/atoll like. We'll see how that turns out... the best laid plans of mice and men often go awry.

I didn't come up with the PVC house. I saw it on Nano Reef. It was a lucky but perfect find. I was fretting over the sand bed issue.

Those are some NICE planted tanks. If you have that success with freshwater, I am sure you will do a great job keeping a reef.

dsoz

Thanks dsoz! I hope so.

WOW!! So when I do a FW planted tank again' date=' I know who I'm calling! I love your little borneo sucker in the jungle tank. They're so cute![/quote']

Thanks theJenchild, Anytime!

Welcome.

If you can do a Tanganikan Planted tank with great plant growth you will be wildly successful in reefkeeping. Your 60H ADA is very nice. Also, that 5.5 is awesome. Leave it alone. Get a cheap aGa for a fuge. I love those amano tanks. It is truly an art and you are doing a great job on those. Best of luck in the reef hobby. You have obviously been doing your homework. I love that jawfish house setup. Pretty cute.

Hope you enjoy our club and do consider becoming a paid member since it quickly reaps savings in the LFS.

Thanks tidalsculpin, I may get another ADA 5.5 and do the refugium with it. I think it'd look cool to push them side by side.

I paid for a membership earlier this evening through the site.