Medred: The Newest Newb

MedRed

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if this will help or hurt but most people do not realize what happens to a package between point a and point b. (This applies to both UPS and FedEx) They are under the impression that the driver picks it up puts it in his truck, then picks it up and places it in a trailer, train, airplane and then the same occurs on the other end in opposite.

In reality either the driver picks it up or if the shipper ships large quantities then UPS back a trailer up to their door and they (the shipper) load it. This is actually the only place a forklift might be used and it wouldn't be UPS using it. Then when the package car or trailer arrives at the local hub the packages are unloaded at the rate of approx. 1 every one or two seconds and placed onto a conveyor belt. (Several other package cars and trailers are being unloaded at the same time) These then arrive at a primary sort (in a typical hub) where they are sorted at approx. the same rate to 8 or so belts. The sorter is only looking for the destination zip code and nothing else. (Fragile is meaningless to him/her since many packages have this plastered on them and it wouldn't change how they are handled even if they did look for it) This then either goes directly to a load line where it is again sorted based on the zip code but this time it is more specific to one of 7 or so trailers or through a secondary sort before going to the load line. The belts carry the package not only up to the door of the trailer but they carry it clear up to the loader on rollers. The loader then loads the trailer at approx. 1 package every 3 seconds. In that 3 seconds they will look at the zip code and thent he state and city to be sure it is in the right trailer and then decide where in the current tier in the trailer to place the package. The trailer then goes to the train, airport, or directly to another hub. For packages traveling long distances then it may pass through 2 or 3 hubs like this before it arrives at the destination hub. At the destination hub it is similar except that it gets loaded onto a package car. This latter is a slower process since the car is arranged by areas through the drivers route. The only times the packages are hand carried is during pickup, loading into the destination package car, and when the driver brings it to the door. To my knowledge FedEx has a similar system.

Now your going to ask why they can't slow down and take more time with each package? The answer is simple. In order to provide shipping at the prices they do and as fast as they do they need to process 25,000 or more packages an hour through the hub (based on what the Portland hub processes) To get more personalized service it is usually going to take longer and will cost a great deal more through one of the more specialized transport providers. (Or you need to go to the door and pick it up from the shipper yourself)

An unfortunate by product of this is that anything that is fragile and is not packaged extremely well is susceptible to damage through the system. More often than not the shipper is the one that has failed to properly package an item that is damaged. This is not necessarily their fault though as neither UPS nor FedEx really explain to shippers what happens with packages and why proper packaging is important.

Note: This is based on the systems in place 12 or 13 years ago and therefore it has certainly changed somewhat. Package volume is certainly higher (Due to the Internet) and everything is scanned at several points where it wasn't scanned back then unless it was an air package. I would guess that the basic system in place though is still much the same.

..... And how do I know this? I use to be a hub supervisor for UPS. And No, I am not biased towards UPS. I actually use FedEx when shipping stuff myself but not because of damages. I use it because it is faster (They are primarily an air service whereas UPS is primarily a ground service) and because the account rates were slightly better. Knowing what happens in both systems I am probably less biased towards either one than most.

BTW, I hope that the package arrives in good shape. I would be pretty upset if 2 of them were damaged in transit. (Regardless of the cause)

I don't know if this will help or hurt but most people do not realize what happens to a package between point a and point b. (This applies to both UPS and FedEx) They are under the impression that the driver picks it up puts it in his truck, then picks it up and places it in a trailer, train, airplane and then the same occurs on the other end in opposite.

In reality either the driver picks it up or if the shipper ships large quantities then UPS back a trailer up to their door and they (the shipper) load it. This is actually the only place a forklift might be used and it wouldn't be UPS using it. Then when the package car or trailer arrives at the local hub the packages are unloaded at the rate of approx. 1 every one or two seconds and placed onto a conveyor belt. (Several other package cars and trailers are being unloaded at the same time) These then arrive at a primary sort (in a typical hub) where they are sorted at approx. the same rate to 8 or so belts. The sorter is only looking for the destination zip code and nothing else. (Fragile is meaningless to him/her since many packages have this plastered on them and it wouldn't change how they are handled even if they did look for it) This then either goes directly to a load line where it is again sorted based on the zip code but this time it is more specific to one of 7 or so trailers or through a secondary sort before going to the load line. The belts carry the package not only up to the door of the trailer but they carry it clear up to the loader on rollers. The loader then loads the trailer at approx. 1 package every 3 seconds. In that 3 seconds they will look at the zip code and thent he state and city to be sure it is in the right trailer and then decide where in the current tier in the trailer to place the package. The trailer then goes to the train, airport, or directly to another hub. For packages traveling long distances then it may pass through 2 or 3 hubs like this before it arrives at the destination hub. At the destination hub it is similar except that it gets loaded onto a package car. This latter is a slower process since the car is arranged by areas through the drivers route. The only times the packages are hand carried is during pickup, loading into the destination package car, and when the driver brings it to the door. To my knowledge FedEx has a similar system.

Now your going to ask why they can't slow down and take more time with each package? The answer is simple. In order to provide shipping at the prices they do and as fast as they do they need to process 25,000 or more packages an hour through the hub (based on what the Portland hub processes) To get more personalized service it is usually going to take longer and will cost a great deal more through one of the more specialized transport providers. (Or you need to go to the door and pick it up from the shipper yourself)

An unfortunate by product of this is that anything that is fragile and is not packaged extremely well is susceptible to damage through the system. More often than not the shipper is the one that has failed to properly package an item that is damaged. This is not necessarily their fault though as neither UPS nor FedEx really explain to shippers what happens with packages and why proper packaging is important.

Note: This is based on the systems in place 12 or 13 years ago and therefore it has certainly changed somewhat. Package volume is certainly higher (Due to the Internet) and everything is scanned at several points where it wasn't scanned back then unless it was an air package. I would guess that the basic system in place though is still much the same.

..... And how do I know this? I use to be a hub supervisor for UPS. And No, I am not biased towards UPS. I actually use FedEx when shipping stuff myself but not because of damages. I use it because it is faster (They are primarily an air service whereas UPS is primarily a ground service) and because the account rates were slightly better. Knowing what happens in both systems I am probably less biased towards either one than most.

BTW, I hope that the package arrives in good shape. I would be pretty upset if 2 of them were damaged in transit. (Regardless of the cause)

Wow...thats informative post. Sheds some light on things for sure. Comming from someone who once received a aquac remora used from a reefcentral person smashed. I kind of thought the guy just ripped me off but it was his poor packaging that was at fault. Ups had no sympathy for the smashed skimmer and I just fixed it and went on.

Medred....awesome freshwater tanks. Sounds like you will do just fine with a reef tank. (welcome)

Jay

The tank arrived in one piece!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The outside of the box was beat to crap! The 10 fragile labels obviously didn't mean diddly squat. Luckily the tank was packed in 3 boxes and a whole lot of bubble wrap and bracing. Without even fully unboxing I loaded and drove to Davey Jones Locker so that I could work out my scape with the live rock. I also took my dry dock and Mp20 with me to see if they could cut it down to fit in the third chamber. They are going to make me a custom dry dock with legs that will stand on the shelf in the 3rd chamber flush with the top of the tank.

Thank you DVJ for letting me make a wet mess of your floor to play with the rocks. I will be setting up the tank on saturday I believe.

OH HAPPY DAY!

Glad it made it this time.

I built my own stand as well. I'm pretty happy with the results other than the finish. I used one of the one step stain/varnish deals and it wasn't until I had it almost done that I figured out how to get an even coat. I'll be stripping it back down and will refinish it again before too long.

Glad t made it for ya. I was worried you were gonna blow a fuse even before you started a real salt water tank. Get that ro/di pumpin man. Let's see a tank!

Thanks tidalsculpin, I am making ro/di water right now. Already had 30 gallons ready. wasn't expecting to add water until I added the rock. I realized today that I could have added the rock. Oh well! lol.

30 gallons would have been enough with rock and sand, but the tank is empty at the moment other than having 30 gallons of water in it. still need to hook up the tunze ATO. Someone is giddy! happy happy joy joy! (clap)