Medred: The Newest Newb

MedRed

Wow, those planted tanks are beautiful... I've been reading a few FW/Planted blogs and I gotta say the idea of switching over has crossed my mind more than once. If I ever do, I'll be sure to pick your brains :-)

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the club! It sounds like you are off to an excellent start and you have picked out some nice equipment and a great tank! I love the freshwater tanks! Once you get into reefing, I am afraid that you are probably going to convert a few of those bad boys :)

I didn't get a chance to chat with you at the meeting but next time I will definately say hello. This is a great place to learn and interact and thanks for joining!

Garrett

What diameter is the PVC on that set-up?

I actually just redid it to make it smaller.

2rc8qq8.jpg

Use 4 x 3/4" street elbows

These 409-.png and not these 90.jpg

1x 3/4" Tee

401-.png

saw off the T

and a piece of 3/4" straight pipe. Cut off a 4-5 inches. I didn't really measure, just eyeballed it. The materials, not counting a saw or pvc cutter, should cost less than $10.

Wow' date=' those planted tanks are beautiful... I've been reading a few FW/Planted blogs and I gotta say the idea of switching over has crossed my mind more than once. If I ever do, I'll be sure to pick your brains :-)[/quote']

ha ha, no worries andy. We'll trade planted information for reef information.

Just got back from Davey Jones Locker to check out the Jawfish... what a cute little guy he is. He's paid for, so no one try to snatch him out from under me >_> lol. I'm already starting to get the bug as I've decided to do a 5 gallon macro algae show refugium with a goby/pistol shrimp combo. ARGH!

Just got back from Davey Jones Locker to check out the Jawfish... what a cute little guy he is. He's paid for' date=' so no one try to snatch him out from under me >_> lol. I'm already starting to get the bug as I've decided to do a 5 gallon macro algae show refugium with a goby/pistol shrimp combo. ARGH![/quote']

IT gets MUCH worse....just wait until you start in on the corals! (whistle)(laugh)(naughty)

Good thing we have monthly meetings for those that have it really bad.

Ive seen all the classic signs! You try to start out small..... Then you start having yard sales selling off stuff so you can buy a larger tank. Then you set up a account with Lowes and Home Depoe, Next you have the local fish shops on speed dial on your cell phone.

Good thing we have monthly meetings for those that have it really bad.

Nooooooooooo! I'm finished! I sincerely hope SW doesn't start assimilating my FW tanks. The crazy thing is that 4 of the tanks can be drilled and 3 of those already use MH lighting.

I thought I'd share a picture from nano reef of a jawfish using his man made home. Pardon my French, but the owner affectionately titled the picture GTFO!

jawfish-gtfo.jpg

I will just reaffirm with your exceptional talents at keeping planted systems which in my OP can be or are just as hard as any Reef filled with delicate to maintain corals and I think you will have no issues the most first timers have.If he have any questions feel free to pm me be happy to help out if I can and "welcome".

LOL! Love that photo of the jawfish!

I also keep a nano tank. I actually haven't run into any of the instability problems that most folks do. The key for me was a sump and an auto-top off. I do regular water changes and keep the bio-load light. With the exception of the new tank syndrome at the beginning, I haven't had a problem. I think it all comes down to common sense. Don't put lots and lots of big fish in a tiny tank, and take all the steps to be sure that there aren't huge swings in your chemistry. You'll do great! I can't wait for a tank build thread!

I will just reaffirm with your exceptional talents at keeping planted systems which in my OP can be or are just as hard as any Reef filled with delicate to maintain corals and I think you will have no issues the most first timers have.If he have any questions feel free to pm me be happy to help out if I can and "welcome".

Thank you for the vote of confidence reefboy, reefing is intimidating for sure. I'm sure I'll be picking a lot of brains over in the future.

LOL! Love that photo of the jawfish!

I also keep a nano tank. I actually haven't run into any of the instability problems that most folks do. The key for me was a sump and an auto-top off. I do regular water changes and keep the bio-load light. With the exception of the new tank syndrome at the beginning, I haven't had a problem. I think it all comes down to common sense. Don't put lots and lots of big fish in a tiny tank, and take all the steps to be sure that there aren't huge swings in your chemistry. You'll do great! I can't wait for a tank build thread!

Great words of wisdom thJenchild. The bioload thing worries me some. I'm planning 4 fish for the tank, adding corals and a CUC seem like a lot.

For the most part, corals and CUC don't add much to the bioload -- though there are exceptions (non-photosynthetics and larger, well-fed LPS are a couple of examples). Like Jen says, keeping a low fish population and frequent water changes are key IME

Thanks Bob, the blue spot is awesome. He even came out to say hello to me yesterday.

I will say the personal pressure is on regarding aquascaping this tank. There's a huge Solana owner's thread on reef central. I've noticed the majority of the Solanas (and nanos for that matter) follow the same general idea for the scape. There are obviously a lot of constraints with fitting a decent amount of rock in a tank this size. It kind of lends itself to a mound of rock in the middle.

If I have a cookie cutter tank, I don't want a cookie cutter scape! Don't be disappointed everyone if my tank comes out looking "normal." I have every intention to do something different though.

Welcome to the site! You got some MAD F/W skillz!

I think you should keep the ADA 5g and get another tank for your fuge because that's one of the nicest F/W tanks I have seen! Well done on all of your other tanks too.

I'm sure whatever you come up with in your new tank will be very pleasing to the eye.

Thanks Bob, the blue spot is awesome. He even came out to say hello to me yesterday.

I will say the personal pressure is on regarding aquascaping this tank. There's a huge Solana owner's thread on reef central. I've noticed the majority of the Solanas (and nanos for that matter) follow the same general idea for the scape. There are obviously a lot of constraints with fitting a decent amount of rock in a tank this size. It kind of lends itself to a mound of rock in the middle.

If I have a cookie cutter tank, I don't want a cookie cutter scape! Don't be disappointed everyone if my tank comes out looking "normal." I have every intention to do something different though.

With as much experience you have I am sure your aquascaping will be great. If you want some practice you can help me with mine, as I am struggling getting mine to my liking. It seems harder for me because I have some rocks that have colonies of zoe's and some riccordias and shrooms so those rocks need to be placed just so.

Sounds cool TAD, I'll drop you a line when I get back in town. Heading to

Washington D.C. tomorrow get fly back on Sunday... then leave for Alaska on Tuesday... fly back on Friday... Then leave for Seattle on Monday... drive back late on Wednesday. This is going to be a LONG month.

Sounds cool TAD, I'll drop you a line when I get back in town. Heading to

Washington D.C. tomorrow get fly back on Sunday... then leave for Alaska on Tuesday... fly back on Friday... Then leave for Seattle on Monday... drive back late on Wednesday. This is going to be a LONG month.

Well I hope you get to drop a line while in Alaska.

Well I hope you get to drop a line while in Alaska.

I have my priorities ;-)

I'll be fishing that Thursday. The freezer will be full!(plotting)

On a side note... does anyone see a potential issue with having a tail spot blenny and a Bluespot Jawfish? They have a similar body shape and attitude. The Jawfish is the star of the show. I don't want the Blenny to stress him out.

picture of tail sot blenny:

blenny01.png