Price Mark Up!@#$%^&

Frank

I feel compelled to stand up for myself here, since I am referenced. The wholesale FOB (freight on board) price for this fish, the goby, is $22.00. So after shipping, box charges, and all the other stuff we have to pay to bring a fish in I figure the landed cost of the fish is about $25. So, since I have years of experience in buying and selling perishable commodities, being in the produce industry for many years, I marked the fish up by almost triple. My bad, I would actully sell the fish for $50. I actually posted on here after another member said how cool they were, that I was going to bring some in. They are on order and will be here early next week. I have no intentions of trying to "spank" any one of my competitors.

Personally, I don't care what any other vendor sells their stuff for and I CERTAINLY am not jealous of any other vendor on this or any other site. I am almost offended by that remark. But, I have a thicker skin than that. I want us all to make a living doing what we are doing. Hell, I even have let others tag along on some of my orders to help them get some stuff they wanted. So, I harbor no ill will to any sponsor here. It's all about reputation, and I think that the vendors with integrity will rise above those who have none.

God I hate being PC!!!!!!

Well Bob, thats great for you if thats your stratagy and it works. I went onto the Internet while at Vances and looked up the price of these fish and after seeing what the price was decided I might be able to buy it, market it, sell it, and make a buck. I took all internet pricing into effect and took 20% off and came up with my price. Nobody sells this fish for $50. If thats what you would have sold it for, good for you! Why didnt you buy it? I come in long after you guys do you buying and pick up whats left over. Im not there when the door opens waitng for the bargains. Once again, focus on your business and not on what im doing. You might be surprised how much more in sales you really do!!

Like I said, I don't care what anyone sells anything for. I know what I have to sell stuff at to do what I want to do. I did buy the gobies, they come in on Tuesday. They will sell for $50. We all have different ideas of how to run our business, some of us are here for the quick buck, some for the long haul. Personally, I want to be around for a few more years, so I do what I can to satisfy my customer. If it means a smaller margin, well then that's what I have to do.

I buy very few fish from Vance, so I'm not there when the door opens. You haven't been to my shop to see what I have going on, so you judging me is kind of short sided, don't you think.

This is my last comment on this topic. Again, you reap what you sow, and integrity will win out over greed. Always does.

Thank you and sorry for the drama.

ps. I have some things at your place that I won on Ebay. I will not be getting them, please donate them to the club for the upcoming meeting or resell them on Ebay or do whatever with them.

Once again' date=' focus on your business and not on what im doing. You might be surprised how much more in sales you really do!![/quote']

Sounds like you are the one that is stuck on what everyone else is doing.

Snowpunk: I take it back, this guy does make some rude comments that are totally uncalled for.

I guess I was saying I agree with the right for someone to discuss the issue. I agree with what Garrett said about supply and demand. If someone wants to buy it at x price, then it is a fair price. Rare fish and corals always demand high prices, and so do rare stamps and rare baseball cards.

I dont think that making threats is a good way to keep business. There are a lot of great LFS out there and buying them all out may be hard if you disown some of the locals. I know that the LFS around that area are great, most of them top notch. I have dealt with most, and loved it. Try not to worry about what a customer says about what the LFS said, I am sure you have said some things about other LFS too.

Im not going to be the target of anyone on this board any longer. If you buy something from me and you feel cheated, mistreated, overcharged, or taken advantage of in any way then fine, but all this finger pointing and back biteing by others is going to stop tonight. 99% of all the negative comments made about my company are from people that have never stepped foot in my facility or even would know me if they passed me in the street. I came to this board to be a sponsor not a moving target. I came to give you the customers a value, and I do. If you have a justified comment about OIAB I am all for constructive criticism, but this is simply garbage and I wont be your scape goat anymore. (threaten)

Well Bob' date=' thats great for you if thats your stratagy and it works. I went onto the Internet while at Vances and looked up the price of these fish and after seeing what the price was decided I might be able to buy it, market it, sell it, and make a buck. I took all internet pricing into effect and took 20% off and came up with my price. Nobody sells this fish for $50. If thats what you would have sold it for, good for you! Why didnt you buy it? I come in long after you guys do you buying and pick up whats left over. Im not there when the door opens waitng for the bargains. Once again, focus on your business and not on what im doing. You might be surprised how much more in sales you really do!![/quote']

I'm just gonna say this and be done with all of this. I really don't know the first thing about you as I have never met you. I guess my problem is that when you go on the defensive you are really rude sounding(I don't know if that is your intention) and it just brings a bad vibe. I know I am guilty of it too now so I have little room to talk. I really have heard great things about you from others who have met you but the "forum Perry" seems like a 180 from the Perry I hear about from others. I'm not saying sugarcoat it but you sound so pissed and on edge in your posts. I really don't know where this is going except that the other thread that I first commented on, this is what I was more or less talking about. Like I said thats it for me I'm done with this one. Scouts honor!;)

This is clearly a touchy subject for discussion. I just caution people to be very careful what they say when typing responces on here. This business definatley is based alot upon ones reputation so it is important to keep a respectable competative nature. Take responces with a grain of salt and represent yourself clearly.

Garrett

Frank, I really agree with your first post. I shop around...I have a pretty good idea of what stores I can now trust with pricing. Recently I purchased something locally that I shopped around for and saved upwards of 200.00! That is a HUGE price difference between LFS shops. I will not say what it was or whom I purchased from, but rest assured the selling party will get more of my business.

It all boils down to buyer beware....be a smart consumer and shop around...support your LFS that will help you the most and give you an honest good price.

• Like 1

Well as most now me and Perry don't see eye to eye to say the least lol but believe me when I say this he's getting a raw deal on this post so what if he charges X amount buy somewhere else don't get on line and bash this is called business every shop does it and what you guy's here may think is expensive is cheap back east I think some folks need to step back believe me I've been there lol and try to see thing in perspective everyone's overhead is different and operating costs vary and honestly I see them go for more lol.

• Like 1

I saw that little goby today. That is an awesome fish! I'm stoked for the little guy that he has gotten so much publicity! I don't want the whole goby but I'd love to get a frag.

LOL. And once your frag grows out, I would love a second generation frag. I hear they color up and do much better in captive aquaria after a generation or two.

• Like 1

I'm just gonna say this and be done with all of this. I really don't know the first thing about you as I have never met you. I guess my problem is that when you go on the defensive you are really rude sounding(I don't know if that is your intention) and it just brings a bad vibe. I know I am guilty of it too now so I have little room to talk. I really have heard great things about you from others who have met you but the "forum Perry" seems like a 180 from the Perry I hear about from others. I'm not saying sugarcoat it but you sound so pissed and on edge in your posts. I really don't know where this is going except that the other thread that I first commented on' date=' this is what I was more or less talking about. Like I said thats it for me I'm done with this one. Scouts honor!;)[/quote']Your 100% on the mark. You dont know me. Nor do you know anything about my company. Not directly anyways. Why dont you come down, lets meet face to face, take a look around and I'll extend a 50% off discount to you on any initial purchase. im really a nice guy at heart(nutty)

hahaha

Your getting off topic and making it personal? If you want to make it personal then say your peace and be done with it. Im getting pretty tired of you trying to bash every comment that I make. You dont have to try and critisize someone for trying to earn a living. If you can show me one valid website that sells this fish cheaper(incl s/h) I will sell it and donate 100% of the proceeds to the charity of your choice. If not' date=' then @#@# me!!!!!!! my price $129 shipped anywhere USA. Thats a fair and reasonable price.[/quote']

dude... did you say @#@# me!!!!!!! thats too funy(clap)

I think it was a good move on your part to snatch that fish up before I got it and sell it for 64 dollars more than I said I could sell it for! cheers to you!(clap)

By the way. I bought a coral from Perry today that was priced at around %50 of the wholesale price that I paid the last time I got a similar piece. Talk about a good deal! I've really got my eyes out for those deals now that I don't get a discount.

You know' date=' I liked this goby when I saw his picture......now that I know he's a celebrity, maybe I really do need one! Just out of curiosity, are they sand sifters? Algae eaters? What is their little niche in the world?[/quote']

Primarily just guard their hole/rock with their little pistol shrimp buddies. Oh and they are colorful!

• Like 1

They're really cool, and a small dedicated tank is the best way to go IME. I haven't seen my pistol shrimp since I moved it to the big tank. When it was in my son's 20, we'd see it all the time.

• Like 1

I've been looking for a good excuse to start a little 5 gallon pico hex with a few zoas and a goby-shrimp pair. I want to put a little tower of LR right in the middle, grow some zoas and maybe a few ricordia around and on it, and then have the goby-shrimp pair in there.....hopefully view-able from all sides.