Price Mark Up!@#$%^&

Frank

Crazy thing here is as was pointed out, and I am sure as an insult, I did post my Duncan's up for $50 a head and they sold within 10 min. Crazy thing about that is the guy that bought them runs a very respectable LFS out here and it a prodominant member of the reefing community and he was willing to buy them for the asked price. I dropped it due to the fact that he was taking all of them. Must have been extremely high pricing there. If it makes you feel better I sold all of them at $20 a head since he bought them all. Why don't you post a pic of these duncan's you are giving away to compare. I am sure we will find that they are different than mine. I have seen Duncans for as low as $8 a head and as high as $100 a head. Again, completely different from mine. Even LFS's out here, being in So Cal, are hitting me up for some of mine. I am not just trying to pump mine up or float my own boat here but I acknowledge when things seem to gain alot of interest.

After reading this thread I did a little research of my own here, sharing the quoted selling prices of the "deals" and low and behold EVERY LFS HERE SAID IT IS A RIP OFF. EVERY SINGLE ONE. To be honest most asked who was doing that, so being the true hobbiest I am I told them as to not keep secrets, funny thing now is that name is a joke out here now. Odd thing is out of the 15 stores and 20 RC members I spoke to out here the common price for both of these fish is $65. I dont even know why I am posting in here. I already know who it is that was outragously marking up the corals in this thread and it is no shock to me. I would expect nothing less. Some people run respectable businesses and some don't. It is a fact, as unfortunate as it may be, it is a fact non the less. Some stores place decent to maybe even high prices on things but normally have a good reason, while others simply try to get whatever they can, might not even quote a price just wait for the highest bidder so they can so they don't overcharge "that is just what it sold for".

Since being out here I have met Steve Tyree, yes for real, and a gentleman named art who hosts the CFM's and when discussing this thread they both had the same opinion as Vivid Aquariums, The Mystic Reef, Bevis Aquaculture, and several other "reefers" which I described above some even threw in the whole "that guy is a disgrace to the hobby" comments. So you tell me am I reading this wrong or is this thread pretty self expanitory. Being that I haven't ready any names being called out here makes me wonder why some are getting defensive. I ran a company for a long time and what I learned from all of that is if there is a comment about unfair or dishonest comments and someone takes offense to it typically means they are guilty of what is being discussed.

As said in many previous threads I will not post the name here as I am above that and dont want to be the cause of anyone\business failing. But at the same time as a hobbiest myself I do beleive in looking out for "our" better interest.

Your either a guy who is pro hobbyist and has good prices, or your someone that mocks there customers for selling them a frag the size of a fleck of pepper for an outrageous price. You can't be both, pick a side.

I do business with people that treat me well. This is my hobby, what I do for fun. The emotions and attitude surrounding this are not fun.

I did buy the gobies, they come in on Tuesday. They will sell for $50.

I will take two. I will be there on Tuesday. What time should I come? Quite serious. I can prepay if need be.

• Like 1

hence the whole defensive thing I was talking about. Sometimes it is so easy to get someone to show their true colors, it is like they cant resist. It is no secret here what my opinion is of you. And I am sure you will never be able to change that. For all to see, I will not buy from the above nor will I trade for anything that came from here.

Tell Steve to give me a call' date=' He has the number!!!!![/quote']

Why don't you call him yourself since you must have his number too.(scratch) BTW I saw the Duncan's you have listed that you must be giving away, they are so small and cute. Wonder why mine aren't that small?(scratch)

Nice, keep the immaturity rolling. If a frag swap\member birthday party is "wining and dining" then I would. Fact is it was a fluke to meet him and to learn how he does his thing. Not what I expected but I am sure you already knew that.

Nice' date=' keep the immaturity rolling. If a frag swap\member birthday party is "wining and dining" then I would. Fact is it was a fluke to meet him and to learn how he does his thing. Not what I expected but I am sure you already knew that.[/quote']

UH HUH, and I know how valuable his time is that he would take hours away from his schedule to discuss a thread off PNWMAS. Oh, but maybe your walking around a frag swap at 11:30p.m with your laptop open taking with Steve and pals.....

Bottom line is that running a business is hard and involves risk on behalf of the business owner. You guys deserve to make as much profit as you can. If you don't like the cost of an item than don't buy it. If somebody can buy an item for $10 and sell it for $200, good for them. I don't see much to argue about here.

• Like 1

I just sympathize with business owners in general. I have owned my own businesses that has been successful and failed and the risk and consequences of failure are not fun. Profit is the only way to keep the doors open. These guys aren't forcing anybody to buy from them.

• Like 1