Help, Powerhead ate Anemone

Rick

I came home today to find that my Green BTA managed to get up on the powerhead and then sucked into it. I was able to get it off but it's chewed up pretty bad. What should I do? Leave it alone and see if it recovers? Remove it from the tank?

the best thing to do is to leave it alone to crawl out of the PH by itself. You can do more damage to it by trying to help it.

Now, search "karen's rose anemones" and read about covering your PHs.

I hope she gets better.

dsoz

the best thing to do is to leave it alone to crawl out of the PH by itself. You can do more damage to it by trying to help it.

Now, search "karen's rose anemones" and read about covering your PHs.

I hope she gets better.

dsoz

Thanks. I wish I had seen that before. It actually came loose fairly easy by tickling the base with minimal damage other than what had already been done. Next time I pull the hood off (tomorrow probably as I'll start building a new one for this tank) I'll wrap a screen around the SEIO powerhead. Initially I wasn't going to use it but the fish seem to love it. They get right in the middle of the tank and swim upstream into it.

A quick update. After about 2 hours it has partially opened back up. The foot appears to be completely intact. Can't tell yet but the mouth may also be fully intack with most of the damage limited to tentacles and the one side. There are a number of tentacles out though. A couple dozen or so that appear undamaged with several more deflated still that may or may not be damaged.

Now it will probably split two or three times. Good to hear that it is doing better

If it does then I will not be disappointed however I certainly didn't intend it to be this way. (I expected to take a knife to it eventually)

Currently it has attached itself somewhat to side of the mesh basket I put it in. No further signs of decline although I still can't tell how much of the mouth is intact if any.

Should I wait a day or so and then take it out of the basket? I assume the Clown should be kept away from it for awhile.

Another update, after reading that Dennis put the cut ones back with the Clowns I decided to take mine out of the basket last night. This appears to have been a good choice. Within an hour or so the Clown was picking at the damaged area doing what looked like she was cleaning it. After a bit I could see that around 2/3 of the mouth is still intact. A little later I could see the Anemone was walking over some rubble and slowly moving towards the back of the tank. This morning it has fully attached itself to a rock and the Clown is cuddling up to it. It still appears chewed up however my gut feeling is that it will heal over time.