Downhill's Move

downhill_biker

Well as many of you know I moved to Salt Lake City last weekend and it was crazy. I was honestly thinking that I had a bullet proof plan and that things were going to go pretty well.

Moving everything into the truck went great and the heater and powerhead were in the tub of rock filled with water. All of the corals were individually bagged to keep any death isolated.

On the way over I realized the temp started dropping more and more. I realized it was the power inverter and tried to buy a bigger one. The 250w wouldn't power my 250w heater, then I bought a 800w inverter, it wouldn't work either. For some reason the heater had too much draw.

So the temp dropped and dropped, to below 60 degrees. All the fish died except for one clown. I saw the cleaner shrimp lying in the bottom and thought they were dead until one moved it's feeler.

The corals all looked great when i finally got to Utah. The next morning there were a TON of them dead. All of my birdsnest, my 2 oregon torts, my california tort, most of my encrusting montis, ect...clams...

Right now the tank has new aragonite and water in it, and is stabilizing. The corals that are left are down at the LFS in one of their tanks. They will be keeping them until my tank is completely stable again.

Just thought I would update for any of you wondering how it went. If you move a long distance, I recommend either completely selling everything, or making sure your inverter can handle the heater.

thanks guys.

forgot to add that my G BTA died, but all other anemones lived.

JasonH: I appreciate your offer, and may hit you up some time in the future.

chewie: Thanks. Superman did stay alive, but the sunset, morningstar, pokerstar, chilli pepper, undata, and many others died. the superman may have died, dont know. I haven't been down to the fish store for a few days.

I was going to offer you to use my 3000 watt inverter but figured you would not want to ship back. That royally sucks man, sorry to hear.... should have stopped and bought a camp stove and pan and heated the water.... Sorry man.

That sucks - sorry to hear about that. Hit me up when your tank is back to normal and I'll be happy to send out some free frags to get you up and running again.

Curtis, that is just a bummer man. I am going to send you a few pieces when you are ready. I have most of those montis and will get you some nice frags when you are ready. Maybe your buddies here can all get together and we will send you a big care package to help save on shipping.

Oh, man! I can't tell you how sorry I am to hear that!

Wishing you luck that the rest survive, and if you are in the area, come by for another frag of that purple with green polyps sps, and whatever else is big enough to frag.

Did the Red Planet make it?

Thanks everyone. It almost made me cry...I swear I didn't actually cry, just some watery eyes, but NO crying. Oh man did it hurt though.

The Red Planet did make it, one of the only ones that did, but I am very excited about that. It has survived 4 days without RTN so that is a plus. Went down to the LFS today to check on them and a couple more passed on, but they were showing RTN before.

Nyles I would have loved to use that inverter, but probably would have turned it down thinking that mine was powerful enough. Heinsight being 20/20.

Franklin, I have already found a couple wife candidates and they would love that bumper sticker. Might fit in well when I pull into the "Jack Mormon" coffee shop that is next to my house.

i wish you could have ridden back there too. you could have sat in the water and used body heat to keep it warm.

thanks Joel and Franklin for helping me get the tank tore down, corals bagged up, and tank/stand loaded. It was a huge help. If i knew this was going to happen i could have given you all of my corals and not worried about them dying.

next time i think i will leave my corals with someone and have them ship them to me once i am set up. i was originally going to do this, but thought that with the inverter and heater, guess i was wrong. way wrong.

I'm in Portland now ( Wilsonville actually ) still looking for work.

Took down an my tanks and had a firesale on all my LR. Sadly I don't have room to set one up here.

After I find a job, and we move to a bigger place, I'd like to get a 30g up and get LR from TB Saltwater, I'd like to do a Gulf biotope tank.

Sorry to hear about your losses Curtis. Best of luck in SLC. I feel bad that I didn't take time to talk to you about your move with your livestock.:(

Usually the best way to transport & keep things warm is have them all bagged w/Oxygen in styrofoam boxes, and have a supply of those chemically activated hand warmers. I know this is after-the-fact, but it may help someone else attempting this on a long drive.

Good luck biomekanic, hope you find a job, I am looking too, and the market is pretty slim pickings right now.

J: I know that is how things are usually shipped. I figured this way would be better since it would keep corals and rock warm, but I had one piece of equipment fail, and that messed it all up.

The tank is better now, nitrates are 0, and ammonia is 0. the corals that were encrusted on rock are still alive, and actually starting to get better.