2009 August BBQ at Silver Falls

JManrow

2009 August BBQ at Silver Falls  

1. 1.

• Yes, I wouldn't want to miss this!
    • No, not this year.
    • Maybe.

I would like to get a general idea how many plan on going to the 2009 Annual BBQ at Silver Falls State Park. It's to early for Evites, and many people do not respond to them until right before the event! It will be held Saturday, August 15, 2009.

Silver Falls State Park is located 26 miles east of Salem, Oregon.

http://www.oregonstateparks.org/park_211.php

For all of those that may or may not like the location of silver falls please post some suggestions. The officers and board of directors are trying to rotate functions for the benefit of the northern and southern members. The biggest negative about Silver Falls is that it is approx 30-45 minutes east of Salem and that can make for a long drive for all members.

So if there are other suggestions please post them ASAP.

I know that there are a lot of members that want to feel more involved in the clubs activities so lets hear the suggestions.

Dave

I can't....those mid week days are quite usefull (plotting)and the only way I don't come to work on one of my schedualed days is to take a vacation day or sick day. The first meet I came to was a "floating holiday" for me...DOH!. Wife was not pleased about that.(wife) Not to mention I burned all my sick and vacation time when Dexter was born, then rebuilt vacation time and in addition with floating holidays and I am going to So Cal in the beginning of June for Dex to meet the family.(nutty). Needless to say I have a little building I can do before I take another day off.(sad)

I like the Silver Falls idea but i dont think its feasible for the general club members. I think something more centrally located and directly off I5 is a better option. We need to make a decision on this soon because places are most likely booked fairly soon.

Do you have any place in mind Ryan??

I dont have any plans Dave honestly just because I dont know the Portland area parks very well. I would think something like when we had it at Johns apartment complex a couple years ago would be ideal but I dont think we have access to something like that anymore.

Are there areas like that around Dave? I guess we could do a park also. I guess it needs to be something that is relatively cheap or free also.

Anyone have any other ideas??

Though Silver Falls would be my first choice,here are some other ideas

Molalla River State Park

North Santiam State Recreation

Fogarty Creek located on the coast

Willamette Mission State Park

LL Stub Stewart State Park bran new park

Perhaps the poll should include another option:

ie. "Would you attend the picinic if at another location" or something to that effect.

We have the date of Aug 15th set. Perhaps we can check with a few other parks to see if they have anything available.

Kris

According to their website the City of Salem has several parks that have facilities that can be reserved.

http://www.cityofsalem.net/Departments/CommunityServices/ParksManagement/ParkReservations/Pages/ReservingaParkArea.aspx

The Cascades Gateway Park is just off I-5 and has several lakes. I haven't been to any of them, but maybe some of our Salem members have or could take a look for us.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Salem&state=OR&address=2100+Turner+Rd

Bob

One other thing I would like to point out is you you have a annual day use permit you don't have to pay fees to the park. Daily passes are available at every day-use park that charges a fee. One-year and two-year passes are available by phone at (800) 551-6949 with a Visa or MasterCard, from state park offices and from other vendors all over the state.

Also here is a complete listing of other agencies

http://www.oregon.gov/OPRD/PARKS/dayuse_permit_vendors.shtml

Others might find this helpful as well

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/passespermits/index.shtml

Actually, I would love if it were at Silver Falls... a beautiful park and a really nice drive from Portland if you go out 213 and through Silverton. I realize, however that this may not be all that convenient for everyone. Thanks to all those who are putting work into finding locations for us!

I am down as a maybe since we might have a show that day which would prevent me from attending - not due to the location.

A bit of history of South Falls.

History: Silver Falls City, platted here in 1888, was an early center for logging and some fairly unsuccessful homestead farming. Future US President Herbert Hoover surveyed some of the land here while serving as a young engineer.

By 1900, June Drake, a Silverton photographer, began pushing for park status. His early photographs of the falls have become classics. An inspector for the National Park Service rejected the area for national park status in 1926, however, because logging had scarred the area with "thousands of stumps that from a distance look like so many dark headstones."

After that, the private owner of South Falls charged admission to let people watch as he floated derelict cars over the falls. In 1928 Al and his partner from New York came to Oregon thinking they could get rich.They charged charged 25 cents to see him go over the falls in a canoe. People from all over watched daredevil Al Faussett canoe over 177-ft South Falls. Surviving the fall breaking every bone in his body he had to spend months afterward in a hospital, recovering from his injuries. And his partner took all the money and left town.

There are 10 water falls

South Falls

Lower south falls

Lower north falls

Double falls

Drake Falls

Middle north falls

Winter falls

Twin falls

North falls

Upper north falls

A camera is a must have!!!!

• 1 month later...
I' date='d really like to see Silver Falls. It is one of those "must see" areas of Oregon that I haven't seen.[/quote']

Here's the deal on Silver Falls. The do not take Reservations.

I'm not sure how many people are willing to show up at a place with the possibility of no vacancies at the Day Use Area.

Perhaps we should just go for it, and have someone bring a large portable grill. Any thoughts on this?

Just a suggestion if you all are still looking for a place. Blue Lake Park out in Fairview (North of Gresham) is a huge park. They take reservations, it has huge covered areas with grills, lots of playgrounds and a swimming area for those with kids. It is just a short distance off I-84. I am not sure of the cost or anything but just a thought.

Just a suggestion if you all are still looking for a place. Blue Lake Park out in Fairview (North of Gresham) is a huge park. They take reservations' date=' it has huge covered areas with grills, lots of playgrounds and a swimming area for those with kids. It is just a short distance off I-84. I am not sure of the cost or anything but just a thought.[/quote']

The cost at Blue Lake Park is $65 for an afternoon. They have a couple of sites left. The sites they have left have electricity, but no cover structure. There are trees but no structure. The spots can accommodate up to 100 people.