How to get them to host

I've got a couple of clowns and anemone with no interest in each other. Don't know if this is common or if there can be something done to encourage this? Of course I bought them seperately with the hopes this would happen, obviously no luck.

I've given thought to buying another anemone, e.g. Steelhead's RBTA (drooler), but didn't know if my chances were any better. (scratch)

The other general question is are there certain anemone's that are more likely to be hosted? The one living in my tank currently is a Sebae anemone.

Clowns are dumb!

My clowns had no interest in hosting anything but the corner of the tank for almost two years.

I didn't start off with anemones, but had several different types of frogspawn and hammer corals for them. I tried feeding them in the coral, I tried hanging up pics of clowns near the coral so they would get defensive and protective of it. Nothing worked. I guess I didn't have the right centerfold picture hanging up...

Finally one night I put a frogspawn in the corner where they were hanging out at night. It took about two weeks for them to decide they like the FS. Now they host almost 80% of the time.

If you shine a light on one side of the tank at night, the clowns will migrate to that end of the tank. Then put the anemone under where the light is and the clowns may move in that direction and become accustomed to the anemone.

dsoz

Dsoz is right, they are stoopid fish! I have 2 Percs and 2 Skunks. The Percs were the first fish I got along with a Sebae and then the RBTA. Despite (or maybe because) being alone in the tank, they had aboslutely no interest in either anemone. I got the 2 Skunks and within 3 minutes after putting them in the tank, they both dove into the Sebae. A couple days later they were in the RBTA as well. Since then, the Skunks host both. After almost losing the female Perc to brooklynella (sp) and after quarantining her for about 2 weeks, I placed her back in the DT and now the Percs have decided to host a large frogspawn. DOH!

Give it time. They may end up hosting a powerhead. (nutty)

Dsoz is right, they are stoopid fish! I have 2 Percs and 2 Skunks. The Percs were the first fish I got along with a Sebae and then the RBTA. Despite (or maybe because) being alone in the tank, they had aboslutely no interest in either anemone. I got the 2 Skunks and within 3 minutes after putting them in the tank, they both dove into the Sebae. A couple days later they were in the RBTA as well. Since then, the Skunks host both. After almost losing the female Perc to brooklynella (sp) and after quarantining her for about 2 weeks, I placed her back in the DT and now the Percs have decided to host a large frogspawn. DOH!

Give it time. They may end up hosting a powerhead. (nutty)

or a hole in your rocks. Mine hosted a HOLE....for 3 days. (nutty)

I've never had a clown that didnt host my anemones. Regardless if it was a maroon, false or true perc... they have always somehow found its home within hours.

rose.jpg

I truly encourage you to sell your current clowns(only if they weren't expensive) and buy new ones if you really want them to host. My friend was going through the same thing and after a year of not hosting he finally took my advice and got new ones. They are hosting now. Whatever you choose to do, good luck.

Brandon.

I've never had a clown that didnt host my anemones. Regardless if it was a maroon, false or true perc... they have always somehow found its home within hours.

rose.jpg

I truly encourage you to sell your current clowns(only if they weren't expensive) and buy new ones if you really want them to host. My friend was going through the same thing and after a year of not hosting he finally took my advice and got new ones. They are hosting now. Whatever you choose to do, good luck.

Brandon.

Brandon that is a gorgeous picture.

what i do if they are not interested is put them in a small tank, or bucket with the anemone if you can. for me it was a tupperware bowl in my sump where the water trickled in one side and out the other. after a couple days they were hosting. back into the display they went. now they host, but it isn't constantly like some clowns. they are in the nem about 50% of the time.

Another strategy you can do is to get a domino damsel. It will host almost any anemone it is near. Then the clowns will start defending the anemone from the damsel, and they will start hosting.

Then your problem is removing the damsel when it becomes a big, ugly, butt-head in your tank. LOL

dsoz

I know it sounds a bit cruel, but I use to introduce my clowns into their new home in a net and then force the net with around the anemone. This forced the clowns to experience the sting of the anemone and encouraged hosting. After using this method, I have never had clowns in my displays that didn't host.

Just acclimate them slowly to your tank water. Then place them in a net floating in your tank. Give them a few to get used to your tank parameters. Then just net them over to your anemone.

Garrett

I think I'll give them a chance with the anemone in my refuge and see what happens. I like the idea of acclimating them like you mentioned Garrett, which I'll have to do if I end up going for another pair. I may consider this with the pair I have now if the first option doesn't work. I'm not inclined to ditch them, so I'll try a couple of options.

Maybe you could share what a "center fold" quality clown pic would be Doz? What... maybe I don't want to see that.

• 2 weeks later...