Downhill's 200g Starfire Marineland Deep Dimension

downhill_biker

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hee!

So, you can just go and get free rock and sand?

Wow! Where exactly is this?

May have to plan a little trip some day, and pick up some stuff for future tank redecorating! :D

Nice pieces you got there! Looking forward to seeing it all come together.

That is feakin rad! I am going to have to get you to hall a bunch of that rock my direction lol. Pretty nice looking stuff and will seed up real well! Before you know it, you will not be able to even tell the difference between it and live rock out of the ocean(since it is really out of the ocean anyway lol).

Crazy crazy cool to have that kind of access.

Garrett

Joel, I wish you were right along side me out there collecting rock. It is pretty cool to see an ancient reef on the ground, especially so far inland. I almost feel like I am giving the rock a new shot at life, allowing it to fulfill it's destiny once again. It does make the build more meaningful to me when I go out and collect my own rock and sand.

Shawn, the aquascaping is coming along....kinda. I washed all the sand and had it in yesterday, and had about 3" of water in the tank. Today I washed all the rock and got it in the tank, but it isn't exactly how I want it. I still have a bunch of rock just sitting in the sand bed with no home yet. I may have to break some of the rock up since the pieces are so big.

Susanne, yes you just go out and collect free rock and sand. The sand is easy to get and is great stuff. It is SUPER fine, oolitic sand, as you can see in the pics. Made of calcium carbonate, with no silica, woohoo! The rock is extremely difficult to find. We drove around all day and found nothing. Finally we drove up this rough as heck road and way back where nobody had been for a long time, well we made our own road too, and there was a bunch, a gold mine...I really think it hasn't been picked through because of how hard it was to get back there. If you plan a trip make sure you have a 4x4, and I will show you exactly where to go.

Garrett, it is so cool to have this kind of access. I dont think I will be going your way, but if you get my way, I could hook you up with the spot and you could easily get a full truckload of rock. And you got a place to stay!

Miles, I know I could have used window tint. Shawn (albertareef) had already mentioned that to me, but I dont mind the paint. I get tired of having backing fall off, and the cheap window tint isn't too much better. I dont know if my way was best, but it shouldn't be too hard to remove when it comes time.

So I got the tank up and running, but still have a bunch of work to do with the rock. The canister filter was leaking so I just stuck it in the tank for now to clear up the water. The rocks under the canister will form anemone island. The rocks in the middle will most likely just go in the sump. Basically the structure on the right stays, and the structure on the left stays, but i am having troubles getting the open look I want. The left side needs to open up between the rocks and I cant seem to get it to do so. I am willing to shift rocks around in any way, so if you have an idea lets hear it.

skimmerandtank001.jpg

skimmerandtank003.jpg

He didn't post the suggestion here' date=' he told me in person. Of course I didn't listen because I thought it would fall off, heinsight is 20/20[/quote']

(laugh) Hey Curtis, no worries man, I'm used to people not listening to me ;)

Glad the paint plan is working out. That rock work is going to be awesome. You really did get some nice pieces - hope you can figure out how to get the look you want for that smaller island.

the plan is to break up rock tomorrow. i want to keep the larger piece in the back on the right. it is behind another piece in the pic, but it will be an amazing piece for corals to grow from. i want the "c" shape on the right to be cascading down as it comes toward the front of the tank. i may put the large flat piece on the left and break up those rocks some more. i really want the shelf look, with lots of open space and arches. it will take some work, but will be done...

Thanks for the complement tigerv503.

Here is a new shot. Redid aquascaping. It looks better, but I am still not completely satisfied with it. I have about 50lb of figi premium coming, hopefully that dresses it up a little. I am thinking of adding another arch across the back, and just making it a giant u shape. What do you guys think?

newaquascape001.jpg

newaquascape002.jpg

newaquascape003.jpg

newaquascape004.jpg

thanks. it will be a while. i am being patient and taking my time...or at least trying to. i still have to get the RDSB hooked up and the 100g sump plumbed in before i am ready to connect to the 72g system. i still have to seed the RDSB too. i have a couple small pieces of live rock in there now, but the fiji pieces i add should help. still have to get the pump too. lots of stuff before corals get in there, but yes i am excited about it.