Best Controller for Me

downhill_biker

albertareef: how do you like your controller? i was thinking about getting one of those' date=' but with the PC connection.[/quote']

I actually like it quite a bit but don't have any prior experience to compare it to. The power strips seem to be pretty well made. I think Bob (Lowman) is using one now as well. I got mine from Shannon (Reefhut) who used one on his big system when he had it up and running. I will eventually add the PC interface/software as well but just haven't gotten around to it. My one hesitation investing in one would be availability - they are made in Italy - but I found a few reputable online vendors that seem to carry the units and accesories.

Wow, that comparison chart is great. Thank you.

Ok, I know its a dumb question, but I just don't know what it is, can someone tell me what an X10 device is? I thought it was a power strip but that would be a DC8, so what is an Xa0?

thank you,

Rug

i would say that i would like to spend under $500 with the modules' date=' plugs, and probes, and maybe internet connection...but for a used unit is this reasonable?[/quote']

I got my AC JR with temp probe, ph probe, DC8, and controller for $200 or so used (I cant remember but it was right in that range maybe little less)

I have seen ACIII units as cheap as free (minus ac adapter and ph probe) and $300 complete used. There is lots of different units out there just keep your eyes peeled.

Wow, that comparison chart is great. Thank you.

Ok, I know its a dumb question, but I just don't know what it is, can someone tell me what an X10 device is? I thought it was a power strip but that would be a DC8, so what is an Xa0?

thank you,

Rug

X10 is a home automation system that communicates via your home AC wiring. Slave modules plug into the AC outlets, and appliances/lamps/etc plug into the slave modules. A control module then sends signals over the AC wiring telling what to turn on/off when.

Some aquarium controller's "speak" X10 and can control the slave modules. You could, say, plug a ballast into an X10 slave module and control it with the aquarium controller.

you may want to look at the reefkeeper lite series. they are scalable to allow you to control more or less equipment. if you are looking used look for the reefkeeper 2 as a lot of folks are dumping those for the elite. you can add the network functionaliy for about 120 to any of the lite packages, or the elite net comes with that included (but at 600 bucks it is an investment).

Linky link

http://www.digitalaquatics.com/

The only compelling Aquacontroller feature I'm aware of is the ability to control Tunze devices via the AquaSurf module. I used to have one and loved it, it was soooo cool. If you don't need that, there may be better options for you. I know that reinstalling an RS-232 card in my PC this weekend (because my old one just kind'a... disappeared from the Device Manager) wasn't the most fun I've ever had... USB sure would be nice.

it can also link up with their led modules and has programmable lighting schemes, you can do this with most controllers if you have a DC module, but just another nice feature of the RKL

I am seriously looking at the Aquatronica ACQ110. I know these are not as common, so you may not know much about them, but it had very good marks on the comparison chart that albertareef linked for us, and several people in the club use/have used them. anyone got an opinion on them?

http://www.aquatronica.com/products-1/control-units/acq001

How much is that bad boy (ACQ110)?

Not cheap! I have seen the "starter systems" with the controler, power strip, pH interface & probe, temp probe, level sensor, and PC interface & software for $699 new online. The packages go up in price from there adding additional probes (2nd pH, redox, salinity), interfaces (SMS, ethernet) and/or power strips. I looked around a bit before buying mine from Reefhut...

Sean

Not cheap! I have seen the "starter systems" with the controler, power strip, pH interface & probe, temp probe, level sensor, and PC interface & software for $699 new online. The packages go up in price from there adding additional probes (2nd pH, redox, salinity), interfaces (SMS, ethernet) and/or power strips. I looked around a bit before buying mine from Reefhut...

Sean

Sean, I take it you own a ACQ110 too? If not, which controller do you own?

TY

Sean, I take it you own a ACQ110 too? If not, which controller do you own?

TY

That is correct... I have only had it for a couple of months though and it is the first controller I have owned, which makes it somewhat hard for me to compare. I did some research on it before getting it from Reefhut which is how I knew about the link with the chart and the pricing :D