Best Controller for Me

downhill_biker

I am thinking of getting a used controller off of RC, but dont know what I should be looking for. I want something that controls temperature, pH, and has an internet connection to allow me to get the parameters online.

I have heard that the controllers that use the DC8 connections end up costing more in the long run. I dont know anything about any of them. I am just getting sick of heaters/thermometers not working, and need a new pH monitor, so figured I might as well get a controller. Needs to be able to handle my 200g tank, 100g sump, and 72g frag tank, because i may put them all together at some point. So probably will use 2x500w heaters.

I recently setup my first controller after being in the hobby 8 years.

I don't know why I didn't get one earlier, but I now consider it to be a necessity. I can't believe how simple it makes everything.

I'm using an ACjr. and I love it! I haven't used anything else to compare it to though.

Hey Curtis,

I can't make a brand/model recommendation as I have only been using one for a few months now but I would suggest paying attention to the current/load limitations and requirements for the power strips as this seems to have come up several times lately on other threads. Some of these may not be able to handle the peak current loads of certain ballasts and the mechanical vs. electronic switching of some plugs can impact what you can effectively control with the switch (too little draw and it won't work right).

Hopefully some more experienced folk can speak to those points since I have seen them discussed as issues here recently.

FWIW - I have been using the Aquatronica I got from Shannon for a few months now and am very impressed with it. The power strip is really solidly built and they are daisy-chainable and can be set up as separate "tank" systems so there is a lot of flexibility. I haven't used the SMS or net interfaces (don't have them) so can't speak to that aspect.

Good luck!

Sounds like you need an ACIII, I have the Jr like Impur and absolutely have no complaints, it does everything for me accept clean the glass and do water changes, if there was one that did that I would buy that instead.

Are you positive you want the internet connectivity? That bumps you up into the middle bracket of controllers, and will cost you an additional hundred bucks or more over a bare-bones unit. For just pH and Temp control, an ACjr would work just fine... the 'net connectivity requires the AC3.

I agree, I personally dont need the internet part, if power goes out then ya thats fine it may be handy (you wont be able to connect to it I think but you will know its not powered on) but if a pump fails its not going to be able to tell anyhow, internet or no internet.

I've been using aquacontrollers for nearly 10 years, and they have been working great for me. The software is not the greatest, and connectlivity to a PC is via a serial port, but it controls my heater, cooling fan, main tank light (with length of daylight changing as seasons change), sump light, moonlight (with dimming and time of day changing automatically), main return pump (turns off and on for feeding), and my powerhead (on during the day, off at night). I orignally used X10 modules with my first Aquacontroller, and now have an AC jr using the DC8. I monitor PH, but do not use it to trigger any actions, although it could if you were using Kalk or similar.

I haven't used the RKE, but I have heard it is pretty nice, has better software, and uses USB connectivity to talk to the PC.

ya, i dont know if i need it or not. i was thinking it would be nice since we travel a fair amount. in those cases i usually have someone checking on the tank anyway, and i guess i could use that extra 100 bucks toward a backup generator. otherwise i guess the controller would take care of the parameters, even if i dont know what they are...

OH, YES! Buggy as a cockroach!

On the positive. AC's give support (forget rs-232). They don't do vaporware (like some others). There are a LOT of satisfied customers (me included).

Yeah' date=' that's a good point. The ACjr's RS-232 port is stupidly ancient, Neptune Systems should be embarrassed by that.[/quote']

Downhill, I didn't have time to read this whole thread, but I will recommend the AC3!!! I have had it up and running for a month now, and it is great!

It is very flexible! You can set it up how ever you want, and expand it as much as you would like in the future.

There is great support on RC for it too in the Neptune forum.

I have the ACIII and am very happy with it. You may want to consider what you will want to do in the future and see if the model you want will be expandable. Some offer extra modules so you can moniter and control PH and temp in your fuge, second tank etc. check the specs I think it would be worth it in the beginning to spend a little more and then have the ability to add to it as needed

Someone won a Reefkeeper 2 at the 2008 Christmas Party. Does anyone recall who that was?

IT WASN'T ME(enforcer) I was good all year and I didn't even get a lump of coal(threaten) I really would like to hear about the Reefkeeper

I run the ReefKeeper Elite with the NET module...LOVE IT. Very reliable and easy to set up. Extremely expandable for future use and can even control multiple tanks if you so desire. Web set up is simple and you can use the RSS feed to do cool things like my sig below :)

thanks everyone. sorry i haven't responded in a few days. been busy packing and trying to enjoy oregon before i cant any more.

nyles, i dont know what my price range is...free?

...i am just checking with you guys now, so that i can start looking at used units on reef central and the local site over in utah, and if i see a good deal i can jump on it. i would say that i would like to spend under $500 with the modules, plugs, and probes, and maybe internet connection...but for a used unit is this reasonable?

nope didn't win the lottery, just filthy rich naturally....jk, work long and hard, and blow way to much money on my kids....the corals.